× Members

PIP INterview

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133311 by denisteulon
PIP INterview was created by denisteulon
A friend who has completed a PIP Form stating that he has formally diagnosed with Autism with problems cited about meeting strangers and going to strange places etc, plus due to sleep problems does not function well before the afternoon .... has be offered an office based PIP assessment at 9am in the morning.

Looks like they have not read the form at all..... any thoughts please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 2 weeks ago #133315 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP INterview

dmtlancs wrote: A friend who has completed a PIP Form stating that he has formally diagnosed with Autism with problems cited about meeting strangers and going to strange places etc, plus due to sleep problems does not function well before the afternoon .... has be offered an office based PIP assessment at 9am in the morning.

Looks like they have not read the form at all..... any thoughts please.

Hi dmtl,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

We have had several members who have reported similar situations regarding having to attend a PIP face to face assessment.

They should take your friend's limitations into account when arranging a face to face and make reasonable adjustments where necessary.

These reasonable adjustments do not only include the travelling distance to and from the assessment centre, they also include providing a home assessment where necessary.

The Assessment provider will probably insist that your friend's G.P. Faxes them in support of a home assessment.

They need to contact the Assessment Provider. (ATOS or Capita)

Have a read through : This Topic, and the other posts from the blue links therein.

What to expect at a PIP Consultation can be read from Page 64 of our : PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

Please reply to this post if you have further queries.

bro58
Last edit: 9 years 2 weeks ago by bro58.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133332 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic PIP INterview
I think part of the problem is that the staff who make the appointments don't have the claimants' forms in front of them (I don't think they even have access to them) :(

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 weeks ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133355 by Tenja
Replied by Tenja on topic PIP INterview
This has happened to my daughter who suffers with anxiety which can induce panic attacks, along with depression and what I would describe as acrophobic symptoms. I helped her to complete her form and requested a home visit from ATOS for these reasons. The response was and she was given an appointment to attend a unit with 7 days notice.

I rang DWP this morning and using some of the sound bites from B&W such as this would be a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act and if they were to visit they would see the chaos she and her husband live in which would give a better understanding of how her disability affected her in the area's of daily living.

Sadly although the DWP was very helpful she said if I rang ATOS they would inform DWP she has refused to attend!! The comparison she used if she needed medical attention she would have to go to the surgery to get treatment.

The conclusion was that she would need a letter from the Dr to say she is housebound. Given the short notice of the medical and the difficulties of getting hold of GP's these days I have left it as I will endeavour to get her to the appointment but if on the day she is unable to attend I will inform them. However would it be appropriate for me to write a letter confirming this as an evidence trail. Kind regards :)
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by bro58.

• bro58
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133372 by bro58

Jan Pearl wrote: This has happened to my daughter who suffers with anxiety which can induce panic attacks, along with depression and what I would describe as acrophobic symptoms. I helped her to complete her form and requested a home visit from ATOS for these reasons. The response was and she was given an appointment to attend a unit with 7 days notice.

I rang DWP this morning and using some of the sound bites from B&W such as this would be a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act and if they were to visit they would see the chaos she and her husband live in which would give a better understanding of how her disability affected her in the area's of daily living.

Sadly although the DWP was very helpful she said if I rang ATOS they would inform DWP she has refused to attend!! The comparison she used if she needed medical attention she would have to go to the surgery to get treatment.

The conclusion was that she would need a letter from the Dr to say she is housebound. Given the short notice of the medical and the difficulties of getting hold of GP's these days I have left it as I will endeavour to get her to the appointment but if on the day she is unable to attend I will inform them. However would it be appropriate for me to write a letter confirming this as an evidence trail. Kind regards :)

Hi JP,

"Sadly although the DWP was very helpful she said if I rang ATOS they would inform DWP she has refused to attend!! The comparison she used if she needed medical attention she would have to go to the surgery to get treatment. "

They often use this argument with claimants !!

However, whether or not the claimant can carry out the return trip using "Public Transport" should be taken into account when making "Reasonable Adjustments"

If they can't, then either a Taxi for the return trip should be offered where appropriate, or a Home Assessment.

What if the claimant doesn't own a car, or can't drive, for whatever reason.

The provision of a supporting letter from a G.P. is also the norm.

You are allowed to rearrange once !!

It obviously depends on how far you wish to push the issue !!

bro58

• bro58
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #133373 by bro58
Hi JP,

Yes, you could email ATOS or write a letter as a "paper trail".

If it comes to the day, and she can't attend you should contact ATOS as soon as you know that she will not be able to attend.

As previously stated, you can re-arrange once.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.