× Members

PIP result, topsy turvy. Need help for appeal

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133325 by JA
On 30th March I received the results of my PIP medical and their odd topsy turvy result.

On DLA I was awarded low level care and high mobility. On PIP I have been awarded standard rate for the daily living component and mobility just 4 points.

The medical assessor says that she observed me walk to my car which was in the disabled parking bay 30 metres from her office with normal gait and balance. That I was using a walking stick but and that I showed normal cognitive ability and so can plan and follow a journey without help.
I have fibromyalgia and it changes daily. On the day I attended the assessment was a good day but there was no opportunity to say so. In any case I forgot everything when I got in there except to answer her questions honestly which I did. When asked how I manage socially I said I go to a small knit and natter group. When asked how I got there I said that I usually got a lift but sometimes drive myself to the village in the afternoon. She has written that I can drive myself to the village to knit and natter groups and as I have no sensory or cognitive impairment and no signs of anxiety so considers that I am able to follow a journey unaided. And because I have no muscle wasting that I can mobilise more than 50 metres but not more that 200 metres.

I do drive to the village occasionally but it is 1/4 mile away and I can see it from my house. When in nearby market town I have been left alone twice and both times couldn't remember where I was, where I lived or how to get back to meet my family. I did eventually remember but it was a very frightening time.

I was lulled into a false sense of security as the assessor was the same one I saw for my ESA assessment and although I had a horrible experience when I saw it was her felt more comfortable. Last time she got me to get up on the bed asked me to touch my toes and my back locked. This time I said I couldn't get on the bed. Maybe that was a mistake.

I have been ill in bed for the best part of the month so have had no time to think about an appeal. I did phone up sometime last week or the week before and ask for consideration to be made. Should I get and send new letters from doctors? Another thing that was written was that I wasn't anxious but as I had met before I wasn't so anxious. At ESA I blubbed for the whole interview as it was related to work and my lost career as a teacher.

Being ill the last few weeks feels to me like I have lost time for new letters for consideration. I am going to see my GP tomorrow. I am hoping she will be helpful. Sometimes she is and sometimes she isn't.

I got standard care rate because I use a perching stool, stool in shower and grab rails for steps and in the loo.

I am guessing my car will be taken away any day now and then I really am a prisoner in my house totally reliant on others to take me places.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133330 by Gordon
JA

Welcome to the forum.

If you have only made the request for a Mandatory Reconsideration over the phone then we recommend that you do so in writing, the DWP have a history of misunderstanding phone requests.

Have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for more details of the process and template letters you can use for the request.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

If you have not done so already you should request the assessment report, you can phone the DWP office that dealt with your claim but should again follow up the request in writing.

If you have a Motability car then I afraid they will request it's return immediately, they will not wait for the result of any MR.

If you are not already, then you need to be aware that the criteria for PIP Mobility are significantly more restrictive that what they were under DLA, I don't have any statistics specifically for the Mobility award but some 23% of DLA claimants have lost their award in the transfer to date.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133336 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic PIP result, topsy turvy. Need help for appeal
Hello JA,

The same thing happened with my wife's DLA i.e. high rate mobility & low rate care but with PIP it's enhanced daily living & standard rate mobility.

The daily living scores were lower than I assessed but a higher score wouldn't make any difference.

As regards mobility the DWP decision seems a bit strange ( or I've misunderstood the descriptors) as she has both physical mobility & cognitive impairment problems.
On the PIP form I said that she was unable to follow an unfamilier route (11d) & the decision maker said" you have difficulties in planning & following a route. I agree that you have difficulties". which I thought would give her 10 points but on the award she was only given 4 points for needing prompting to undertaker a journey. (plus 4 points for walking = 8 points).

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133342 by caravanj
Replied by caravanj on topic PIP result, topsy turvy. Need help for appeal

caravanj wrote: Hello JA,

needing prompting to undertaker a journey. (plus 4 points for walking = 8 points).

'Undertaker' should of course read 'undertake'. Lol.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.