× Members

Contribution based ESA & taking small pot pension

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #133337 by jimmybob
I am receiving contribution based ESA of approx £6,000 pa and haven't worked for many years. I have a small pension which I am considering taking in whole as a lump sum following the recent change in pension rules. The value of the fund is approximately £5,000 and falls within the scope of what is called a "small pot" pension. I understand that 25% of the fund can be taken tax free and the remainder of the pension pot treated as income and taxed accordingly. Would you be able to confirm that in respect of ESA and income, that the DWP will also view the remaining pension sum, after deduction of the tax free lump sum (£3,750) as income & not the entire " pot" of £5,000 ?
If my assumption is correct, it will mean that my resultant income will keep me below the £85 per week threshold, thereby avoiding any reduction in benefit.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #133359 by Gordon
Jimmybob

I am afraid that we cannot give detailed financial advice on the forum, if you need this then you need to get face to face advice with from a trained advisor.

ESA(CB) has an £85 per week disregard for any pension income followed by a £1 per week deduction for every £2 per week of pension in excess of the £85.

Even though a claimants pension might not exceed the threshold for a deduction does not mean that they do not have to change the DWP of the change.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.