× Members

Working and PIP

• Bevan
  • Topic Author
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #133516 by Bevan
Working and PIP was created by Bevan
Hi, I am new to the site, what a great resource, thanks :-)
I have a chronic rheumatological disease which causes extreme fatigue and pain,amongst many other symptoms, and damage to my spinal cord. I am currently working and would like to continue doing so - I am self employed, so I have been able to adapt my hours and working conditions to minimise impact on me and take long breaks etc. but I am finding it very difficult and the impact is that when I am not working I have nothing left for anything else, and frequently have to go to bed once I get home and allow others to care for my daughter make me the etc.

My Gp and a person from the DWP access to work scheme have recommended I apply for PIP, to get extra help at home to keep me in work.

I have applied for the form, but I am worried they will think that because I am working that I am fine - even though it has such a huge impact in my life... And often I have to cancel work and go home sick. But of course this is not recorded anywhere as I am self employed. If I could take a photograph of the state of the inside of my house I think they would realise, lol.

Does anyone have any experience of this or advice?
Thanks.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by . Reason: tick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #133551 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Working and PIP
Bevan

Lots of PIP claimants work so their should be no issue with you claiming but you will need to explain how you manage this with your limitations.

It is important to realise that PIP will only be awarded because you meet sufficient of the Descriptors to warrant an award, a photograph may support a general statement of your problems but you need to address the criteria directly if you are to have any hope of being successful.

Have a look at our PIP Claim guide for details of the criteria and how to explain your problems.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Bevan
  • Topic Author
9 years 4 months ago #133586 by Bevan
Replied by Bevan on topic Working and PIP
Hi, thanks for your reply :-)

I do think that I quite honestly fulfil many of the descriptors, especially on the basis of reliably and repeatedly, but wondered if me working would affect whether they would believe what I was telling them. Glad to hear work doesn't affect it and if I wasn't so badly affected I would be working a lot more (like I used to).

Thanks

• Rubyred
9 years 4 months ago #133616 by Rubyred
Replied by Rubyred on topic Working and PIP
I work full time and was awarded PIP care and mobility a year ago. If your disability has an affect on your life you are entitled to claim like anyone else. Its not a means tested benefit and if it helps you at home, why not.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.