× Members

going on holiday

More
8 years 11 months ago #135179 by maggieomx
going on holiday was created by maggieomx
I have just had a livley discusion with my friend who is on pip.she wants to go see her parents in australia they are paying her fare she wants to go for 32 days inclusive.
I have tried to tell her she cant leave u.k for more than 28 days who is right ??
She things im just joking.iv told her im not and she will be found out.she wants to know how DWP would find out without anyone telling them ?? I couldnt answer that ??how would they find out ??? I need to back my proof up !!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135193 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic going on holiday

maggieomx wrote: I have just had a livley discusion with my friend who is on pip.she wants to go see her parents in australia they are paying her fare she wants to go for 32 days inclusive.
I have tried to tell her she cant leave u.k for more than 28 days who is right ??
She things im just joking.iv told her im not and she will be found out.she wants to know how DWP would find out without anyone telling them ?? I couldnt answer that ??how would they find out ??? I need to back my proof up !!

Hi momx,

You can receive ESA for 28 days if travelling/going on holiday abroad.

For PIP it is up to 13 weeks (or 26 weeks if it’s for medical treatment)

See : www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/illness...-disability-benefits

Another thing to consider is the timing of the holiday, does it fall at the same time that they would expect to receive review forms for their PIP award.

Remember, review forms for PIP are received 12 months before the end date of the award.

If they were not at home when the PIP review forms arrived, they may miss the deadline to fill them in and return them which could result in their PIP award payments ceasing.

You are supposed to inform the DWP prior to travelling if in receipt of the above benefits, so that answers your question regarding "how would they find out".

I cannot give a definitive answer regarding how the DWP may find out if you chose not to inform them.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135200 by maggieomx
Replied by maggieomx on topic going on holiday
Is that 13 consecutive weeks or a total of 13 weeks for the year ?

What if you're on PIP and ESA, does that mean you can only go away for 28 days ?

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135232 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic going on holiday

maggieomx wrote: Is that 13 consecutive weeks or a total of 13 weeks for the year ?

What if you're on PIP and ESA, does that mean you can only go away for 28 days ?

Hi momx,

Having discussed this with Gordon, whilst also referring to The Decision Makers Guide, we both agree that it seems to be consecutive weeks, and there is nothing that covers multiple holidays or absences, as they refer to it.

Nor is there any information regarding the lengths of any gaps where you must be at home in between the absences.

To be sure, you might want to contact the DWP for clarity.

If one was in receipt of ESA and PIP, ESA would only be payable for the first 4 weeks before ceasing, then PIP would continue to be paid up to 13 weeks.

Different "Benefits" with their own rules.

I found a similar query that I responded to : Here.

bro58

More
8 years 11 months ago #135800 by witsend
Replied by witsend on topic going on holiday
After recently being awarded PIP, the award the decision letter states that; you need to inform DWP, 'if you leave or intend to leave the country for more than 4 weeks, even for a holiday.'

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.