× Members

pip

More
8 years 11 months ago #135418 by bert
pip was created by bert
Hi , have been a member for a while and have to say all your information is very helpful. I have the condition called c o p d which since I had to give up working in 2012 has got worse . I am claiming esa in the support group on contribution since I stopped working . With the help of your guide I have now started a claim for pip. I have just received the forms . I have the support of my doctor and he is writing a letter in support of my claim. My question is I went on holiday to Cyprus with my partner in 2013 and was taken ill and admitted to hospital . I have the report which details results of all the tests and treatments I had . It states evidence of emphysema in both lungs. It details all results of x rays ct scans and treatments I had and the diagnosis of Acute Bronchopneumonia right . Pleurisy right with recommendations I would need further assistance when I get home . I luckily was allowed to fly home on my scheduled flight into the care of my doctor. Do you think I should send this report as supporting evidence I don't want them to think if I can go to Cyprus I shouldn't need to claim pip. I haven't been in hospital since thank goodness nor have I been on an overseas trip . Thank you for any advice you can give me .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135425 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic pip

bert wrote: Hi , have been a member for a while and have to say all your information is very helpful. I have the condition called c o p d which since I had to give up working in 2012 has got worse . I am claiming esa in the support group on contribution since I stopped working . With the help of your guide I have now started a claim for pip. I have just received the forms . I have the support of my doctor and he is writing a letter in support of my claim. My question is I went on holiday to Cyprus with my partner in 2013 and was taken ill and admitted to hospital . I have the report which details results of all the tests and treatments I had . It states evidence of emphysema in both lungs. It details all results of x rays ct scans and treatments I had and the diagnosis of Acute Bronchopneumonia right . Pleurisy right with recommendations I would need further assistance when I get home . I luckily was allowed to fly home on my scheduled flight into the care of my doctor. Do you think I should send this report as supporting evidence I don't want them to think if I can go to Cyprus I shouldn't need to claim pip. I haven't been in hospital since thank goodness nor have I been on an overseas trip . Thank you for any advice you can give me .

Hi b,

You have a bit of a dilemma here !

Although the evidence that you speak of sounds like it may help, you are not supposed to "go way" without informing ESA.

Did you at the time ?

If you did, then I can see little problem with using it, as it looks like you were not really fit enough to travel abroad anyway.

If you didn't, you should be aware that questions "may" be asked, specifically on how you managed to travel to Cyprus, and whether this was contradictory to your SG Award at the time.

(e.g. Did you have assisted travel, if not. how did you manage to make your way through the airport and onto the plane ?)

"Going on Holiday" in itself should not really cause a problem.

The other thing to consider is, even though it may be "good evidence", it is over 2 years old.

Bronchopneumonia and Pleurisy are acute conditions, and I gather that you have now recovered from these illnesses.

COPD is a chronic, progressive condition which makes you more susceptible to acute conditions such as the above, so you will always suffer the limitations caused by COPD on a daily basis.

When you are assessed for PIP, it will be on how you are at the time of the PIP assessment.

Good evidence regarding COPD can be print-outs from your Spirometry Tests, Lung Age, "Stage" of COPD, PEF, Fev 1, etc, what your grading is on : The MRC Breathlessness Scale, 5 being the most severe, and : Peak Flow Readings.

This coupled with a letter/report from your G.P. explaining how your breathlessness and resulting limitations affects your Care, Daily Living, and Walking capabilities with respect to the relevant PIP Descriptors should help.

Remember, it is the limitations caused by the medical conditions that may or may not score you enough points for a PIP Award, rather than the condition itself.

I know that you say that you are using our guides, but here are the links anyway :

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

If you know how and why you were placed into The SG, citing the reasons may also help.

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135432 by bert
Replied by bert on topic pip
Hi bro 58 thank you for your quick reply . Oops didn't realize I have to inform esa before going away . I did have assistance at the airport at both ends of the journey it was excellent . I couldn't have managed without it ,also my partner pushed me in a wheelchair to get around . I did think I was ok to go but obviously wasn't . I've read about other people going on holiday when needing oxygen . Does going away in England have to be reported to dwp?

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135434 by bro58

bert wrote: Hi bro 58 thank you for your quick reply . Oops didn't realize I have to inform esa before going away . I did have assistance at the airport at both ends of the journey it was excellent . I couldn't have managed without it ,also my partner pushed me in a wheelchair to get around . I did think I was ok to go but obviously wasn't . I've read about other people going on holiday when needing oxygen . Does going away in England have to be reported to dwp?

Hi b,

If you can show that you had assisted travel, etc, etc the not informing them should not really be a problem.

You should be able to gain copy of the Spirometry Tests, etc, etc from your G.P. practice.

I have a close relative who has Sever Stage COPD, so I understand just how debilitating it can be, and how it impacts on all normal daily activities.

You are "supposed" to inform ESA even if you are away from home overnight, even in this country.

Many, many people are not aware of this, and don't, I could only envisage problems if a letter for an interview, medical, etc, etc arrived whilst away.

As I stated, they can't stop you going abroad whilst in receipt of ESA as long as it is for no longer than 28 days.

It is how you managed to do so, if in contradiction to your limitations, that they may question.

You seem to have had to make many adjustments to travel abroad, but is good that you are now aware of "possible" potential problems.

For future reference, here is the actual ESA Regs regarding "being away from home" :

ESA Regulations 2008, Regulation 157 which covers disqualifications :

157 (1)(d) “is, without good cause, absent from the claimant’s place of residence without leaving word with the Secretary of State where the claimant may be found.”

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/794/regulation/157/made

bro58

More
8 years 11 months ago #135441 by bert
Replied by bert on topic pip
Hi bro 58 thank you very much for your advice . I am going to see what my doctor says in his report which I should get this week . Once again thank you it's nice to know we can come on this site for help with things like this which are hard for people like me to understand .

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135442 by bro58

bert wrote: Hi bro 58 thank you very much for your advice . I am going to see what my doctor says in his report which I should get this week . Once again thank you it's nice to know we can come on this site for help with things like this which are hard for people like me to understand .

Hi b,

You are most welcome !! :)

Good luck with The PIP Claim and please keep us updated.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.