× Members

Other Benefits?

• Mike Kane
  • Topic Author
8 years 11 months ago #135897 by Mike Kane
Other Benefits? was created by Mike Kane
I am an OAP and have just been awarded Attendance Allowance(higher rate) after an 11 month wait to reach Appeal;my AA was however backdated to date of original application.
I live on my own with no family within 60 miles,so I rely on 3 kind local people to provide my care and support.
Does anyone know if there are other benefits for which I might apply?
I know about Carers Allowance but as none of my three carers is my primary carer and they are only available on an irregular roster,I don't think CA would be available to any single one of them.
I pay them individually as required.
Living on my own in a country area poses problems of isolation and travel distance(but the air is clean!)
Any guidance would be welcome.

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135903 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Other Benefits?
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Congratulations on winning your AA Appeal !! :)

As you seem to know, one of the pre-requisites for someone else claiming Carers Allowance (CA) for providing care for you is that they provide a minimum of 35 Hours/Week care.

So you do seem to have a dilemma there.

See : CA Gov.UK.

If you read through this : Carers UK CA Factsheet, there is a more in depth description of what can be classed as "care" in order to make up the 35 Hours/Week of care.

As you will see in the Factsheet, there is also the option of someone who is providing care for you receiving Carers Credit which protects their State Pension rights if they are not receiving CA but are providing a minimum of 20 Hours/Week care.

Have you contacted your Local Council/Local Authority, they may be able to help with your care needs ?

You may find further information regarding this on their Website.

We do not really advise on "General" Welfare Benefits but have you been financially assessed for Pension Credit (PC) top-up to your State Pension.

Receipt of PC would be dependent on your personal/financial circumstances and would involve you having to fulfil a financial means test.

There is a link to information regarding PC on this Age UK Webpage you will also see a link above that one where you can use an on-line calculator to check your potential entitlement.

There is also a download link to this : P.C. Factsheet

Age UK, can be very helpful, and they will sometimes come to your home to advise, carry out a full benefits entitlement check and fill in benefit application forms for you if needed.

I hope things work out for you !

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris