× Members

Contribution based ESA (Support group) and PIP

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135906 by Andrew Henshaw
Contribution based ESA (Support group) and PIP was created by Andrew Henshaw
Hi,

I have been recieving contribution based ESA since November 2013, and was awarded the lower level of PIP a couple of months ago, backdated to July 2014.

Thanks by the way for the excellent guides.

Anyway, I got a back payment for the PIP which was very welcome at the time, but my ESA has not been affected at all. Should there be any change to it, I've read about disability premiums etc but I'm not sure if these only apply to income based ESA and not contribution based, and should it be automatic or do I have to claim for that as well?

Also, if there is an extra payment, would it be backdated.

I had to give up work due to a mental illness and while I'm getting there, its very slow and any help I can get from the government is welcome.
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135907 by

Andrew Henshaw wrote: Hi,

I have been recieving contribution based ESA since November 2013, and was awarded the lower level of PIP a couple of months ago, backdated to July 2014.

Thanks by the way for the excellent guides.

Anyway, I got a back payment for the PIP which was very welcome at the time, but my ESA has not been affected at all. Should there be any change to it, I've read about disability premiums etc but I'm not sure if these only apply to income based ESA and not contribution based, and should it be automatic or do I have to claim for that as well?

Also, if there is an extra payment, would it be backdated.

I had to give up work due to a mental illness and while I'm getting there, its very slow and any help I can get from the government is welcome.

Hi AH,

Thanks for the positive feedback on our guides and well done on the recent PIP Award ! :)

Being in receipt of ESA in The SG also gives you entitlement to The Enhanced Disability Premium. (EDP)

However, to be paid any of The : ESA Premiums you must also have entitlement to payment of IR ESA top-ups in addition to your CB ESA payments.

This would involve you passing the IR ESA means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if you have one :

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

To gain a financial assessment you would need to request an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form from the DWP : Sample ESA 3 Form

Filling in this form will not involve a reassessment of which ESA "Group" you are in, it is used to carry out a financial assessment only.

If you can't pass the IR ESA means test, then you cannot be paid any ESA Premium additions.

With regards to PIP, you only have entitlement to The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) if you are in receipt of a Standard or Enhanced PIP Daily Living Award (SDP) and fulfil the other criteria as laid out in the "ESA Premiums" link above.

Again, as with The EDP, you must pass the IR ESA means test before payment of The SDP can be paid as IR ESA top-ups in addition to your CB ESA payments.

If you are entitled to payment of The EDP, payments should be backdated to the date of your ESA SG Decision.

If you are entitled to payment of The SDP, that should be backdated to the date of your PIP Standard/Enhanced Daily Living Award.

As you will see from : This Post, there is no time limit for back payments of IR ESA premiums, even though The DWP may try to state to the contrary.

Your first step is to request, fill in and return The ESA 3 Form.

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA. (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

If you are entitled to payment of any amount of IR ESA, even a penny, this will passport you to other things such as free prescriptions and dental care, Housing Benefit for any rent that you have to pay to a Social Landlord, help with your Council Tax and/or help with your Mortgage Interest payments : SMI.

Energy Suppliers currently operate : The Warm Home Discount Scheme , where recipients of IR ESA may be entitled to a "Credit" to their Electricity Account in March of the qualifying year for falling under "The Broader Group".

Please keep us updated by replying to this topic.

bro58

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135922 by Andrew Henshaw
Replied by Andrew Henshaw on topic Contribution based ESA (Support group) and PIP
Thank you for the really detailed reply, I do appreciate it.

I will look into the income forms and see if we qualify.

Thanks again.

8 years 11 months ago #135923 by

Andrew Henshaw wrote: Thank you for the really detailed reply, I do appreciate it.

I will look into the income forms and see if we qualify.

Thanks again.

You're Welcome !! :)

bro58

8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #135924 by
Hi AH,

You may find this : Age UK IR ESA Factsheet helpful.

See also : Benefits Calculators.

The "Benefit"/Premium rates quoted in The Age UK Factsheet are for 2014/15, current rates can be found below :

Benefit Rates 2015/16

bro58

More
8 years 11 months ago #135930 by Andrew Henshaw
Replied by Andrew Henshaw on topic Contribution based ESA (Support group) and PIP
As my wife does work more than 24 hours it looks like IR based ESA is out for us and contribution based ESA is the best option until I can get back into work, along with the PIP.

I did call nPower however, for the warm home discount scheme, and they say we are eligible due to the PIP alone, and we would also qualify under their income threshold so that will be a bit of help.

The PIP report btw was in my opinion a work of fiction, prepared by a nurse who was sent to asses my mental health and just didn't seem to understand. At least I got the basic rate as he did pick up my physical issues and that was enough to get the points needed, but it is frustrating. I would have appealed but could not face going to a hearing.

Thanks again for the help, its great that you exist.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris