× Members

Support Group ESA and Savings

More
8 years 11 months ago #135957 by candytuft
Support Group ESA and Savings was created by candytuft
Hi,

I have a friend who has spinal arthritis which is degenerative but she was placed in the work related activity group. Her husband's father recently died and he has inherited some money from the will. Because of this inherited income the lady's ESA has been stopped.

Can anyone please tell me, if this lady had been placed in the Support Group would she still have lost her entitlement to ESA?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 11 months ago #135968 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Support Group ESA and Savings

candytuft wrote: Hi,

I have a friend who has spinal arthritis which is degenerative but she was placed in the work related activity group. Her husband's father recently died and he has inherited some money from the will. Because of this inherited income the lady's ESA has been stopped.

Can anyone please tell me, if this lady had been placed in the Support Group would she still have lost her entitlement to ESA?

Many thanks.

It's not the group that determines how savings are taken into account but the type of ESA they are receiving, from your post it sounds as if they are receiving Income Related ESA and now have savings in excess of £16,000.

This being the case, once they have reduced their savings, through reasonable expenditure, then their ESA payments should be re-instated assuming that they have continued to meet the criteria in the interim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 11 months ago #135978 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Support Group ESA and Savings
Just to add to Gordon's excellent advice, was your friend initially on Contributory ESA but exceeded 365 days payment outside of the Support Group and were thus switched to IR ESA? If this were the case you are right in thinking that they would have continued to receive C ESA if they had been in the Support Group.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.