× Members

DWP Telephone Call

• andy
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136480 by andy
DWP Telephone Call was created by andy
Hubby received phone call from DWP this morning. He was asked security questions then the caller went on to ask questions about finance. Does his wife (me) receive any benefits or pension. My husband and I are both on ESAcb support group and I receive an ill health occupational pension. At present we receive no income related benefits nor housing benefit.
Not sure what the call was all about really. He is due an ESA50 this summer so thought the call was about that. Apparently she said a form would be send with all the formation he gave o within the next few days.
Not really sure what it's all about. Never been contacted before except to
inform us separately that we were in the support group. I have been on ESAcb for 6 years, my hubby transferred from IB 3 years ago.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136490 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP Telephone Call

andy wrote: Hubby received phone call from DWP this morning. He was asked security questions then the caller went on to ask questions about finance. Does his wife (me) receive any benefits or pension. My husband and I are both on ESAcb support group and I receive an ill health occupational pension. At present we receive no income related benefits nor housing benefit.
Not sure what the call was all about really. He is due an ESA50 this summer so thought the call was about that. Apparently she said a form would be send with all the formation he gave o within the next few days.
Not really sure what it's all about. Never been contacted before except to
inform us separately that we were in the support group. I have been on ESAcb for 6 years, my hubby transferred from IB 3 years ago.

You say that you are on ESA(CB) and that you are receiving an occupational pension, have you declared this to the DWP?

Whilst ESA(CB) is not means tested, occupational pensions can still result in deductions from your payments.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Gordon.

• andy
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136515 by andy
Replied by andy on topic DWP Telephone Call
Yes Gordon, DWP were informed about my NHS ill health pension. My ESA is reduced to £188 per fortnight. Each March/April I send off the relevant information to the DWP regarding pension increase.
Just curious as to why they wanted this info. I wasn't there when they called, I would have asked questions back!!

• andy
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136646 by andy
Received letter today from DWP following phone call last week. It's addressed to my husband asking for documented evidence of my ill health pension.
I rang DWP giving my NINO and telling them about the letter we received. He told me that all pension information was up to date but if that information was asked for it had to be sent!!
He said that as we lived under the same household my husband should have told DWP about my pension!! No idea what he is talking about, both on ESACB, receive no income related benefits, my ESA is reduced due to my pension, DWP informed each year of any changes. Been on ESACB for six years, never received letter like this before. The letter also states that information required by 4th July or his benefits may be stopped.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136653 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DWP Telephone Call

andy wrote: Received letter today from DWP following phone call last week. It's addressed to my husband asking for documented evidence of my ill health pension.
I rang DWP giving my NINO and telling them about the letter we received. He told me that all pension information was up to date but if that information was asked for it had to be sent!!
He said that as we lived under the same household my husband should have told DWP about my pension!! No idea what he is talking about, both on ESACB, receive no income related benefits, my ESA is reduced due to my pension, DWP informed each year of any changes. Been on ESACB for six years, never received letter like this before. The letter also states that information required by 4th July or his benefits may be stopped.

I think it is a common mistake that claimants make when they assume that DWP staff actually know what they are talking about when people talk to them on the phone. Don't get me wrong, there are clearly DWP staff who do actually understand how the benefits they administer operate, but I think they keep them hidden away from the general public and don't let them speak to us mere mortals.

As to the letter, we have seen a lot of these being reported on the forum, it seems to me that the DWP are undertaking a national exercise to "rattle claimant's cages" to see if anything falls, unfortunately there is realistically nothing that we can do about this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: andy

• andy
  • Topic Author
8 years 10 months ago #136672 by andy
Thank you Gordon for your reply. Yes I did become aware of that after listening to the young man on the telephone. Since becoming ill and leaving work I have become an avid reader regarding anything to do with benefits and truly felt that I was much more knowledgeable than he.
I have sent the info they requested and hopefully will hear no more from them for a while.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.