× Members

IR ESA

More
8 years 10 months ago #136591 by mrs doyle
IR ESA was created by mrs doyle
I have been in the CB ESA support group for approx 2 years. My life savings have now dropped below £16000,will I be automatically changed to IR ESA or do I have to inform DWP,Does this also mean I will be worse off,losing £4 for every thousand in savings between £6000 and £16000 ? Thank you for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136608 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA

mrsdoyle wrote: I have been in the CB ESA support group for approx 2 years. My life savings have now dropped below £16000,will I be automatically changed to IR ESA or do I have to inform DWP,Does this also mean I will be worse off,losing £4 for every thousand in savings between £6000 and £16000 ? Thank you for your help.

Yes, you need to contact the DWP, they will send you an ESA3 to complete which captures your financial situation so that they can decide your entitlement to ESA(IR).

You can't be paid less than you are currently receiving.

ESA(IR) will only go into payment if the amount you would receive is more than any deductions you would have from your savings and assets. From the limited information you have provided I would expect your potential ESA(IR) payment would be £15.75 with deductions of £40 meaning that the ESA(IR) would not be payable until your saving were about £10,000, I've assumed that you are single, if you are in a couple then the calculation would be different. See

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

More
8 years 10 months ago #136683 by mrs doyle
Replied by mrs doyle on topic IR ESA
Thank you for your reply Gordon,Im a bit confused,I currently receive £108.15 weekly,you say I will not be paid less than I am currently receiving,What is the £15.75 fiqure you have quoted ? Is IR ESA paid on top of CB ESA ?please could you take me through the procedure and calculations,my brain is not very good anymore! Thank you.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136702 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic IR ESA

mrsdoyle wrote: Thank you for your reply Gordon,Im a bit confused,I currently receive £108.15 weekly,you say I will not be paid less than I am currently receiving,What is the £15.75 fiqure you have quoted ? Is IR ESA paid on top of CB ESA ?please could you take me through the procedure and calculations,my brain is not very good anymore! Thank you.

On the understanding that the following is just an illustration and that you would need to look at your own personal circumstances.

First of all, ESA(CB) is always paid if the claimant is entitled, so any ESA(IR) would be paid as a top-up to that.

The DWP calculate any ESA(IR) initially as if you are only receiving ESA(IR), then they deduct any income, this would include your ESA(CB) and notional income from your savings. If there is still any ESA(IR) left then it is added to your ESA(CB), if there is none then just the ESA(CB) is paid,

So for your the ESA(IR) calculation is

£73.10 - Personal Allowance
£36.20 - Support Group
£15.75 - Enhanced Disability Premium for being in the SG
=====
£125.05

Then you deduct your ESA(CB)

£125.05 -
£109.30
======
£15.75

Then the notional income from your savings

£16,000 minus disregarded savings
£6,000
======
£10,0000 notional income is £1 for every £250 above £6,000
£250
=======
£40.00

Remaining ESA(IR) minus notional income

£15.75
£40.00
=====
-£24.25

As the ESA(IR) is less than zero there is no payment.

Once your savings have reasonably reduced such that the notional income is £15,74 then ESA(IR) would go into payment, obviously if you have other benefits or income then the calculations would be different.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 10 months ago #136728 by mrs doyle
Replied by mrs doyle on topic IR ESA
Thats great,it all makes sense now! Thank you for your time and patience.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.