× Members

I'm a bit miffed

More
8 years 10 months ago #136647 by Katykat
I'm a bit miffed was created by Katykat
Well, quite a lot miffed really. I get low care DLA, awarded mainly for difficulty preparing food. I have arthritis which by its nature is a deteriorating condition. I informed DWP about this and they duly sent me a new DLA form to fill in. I spent hours on it. Sent it off, waited about 5 weeks, then they sent me a letter saying that they can no longer consider changes of circumstances for DLA and I would have to apply for PIP. I don't actually mind doing this, but WHY did they not send me this letter BEFORE I spent all that time filling in the DLA form. I have difficulty writing so I did most of it on computer and printed it out & stuck it in the relevant boxes, so hopefully I can use quite a bit of what I've already done. So, if anybody is in a similar situation and considering informing DWP, if they send you a DLA form, why not try ringing them to check whether it really should be a PIP application.
I have noticed that in the cooking category, PIP takes account of microwave use whereas DLA didn't. Is there any advice on whether to approach this differently?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136658 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I'm a bit miffed
KatyKat

There does appear to have been a problem with the DWP initially sending DLA documents and then changing their minds, however, having been invited to claim PIP the opportunity to pursue this has now gone.

The rule is that if you are in an active PIP postcode, there is still one group that will not go live until 27 July, then any reported Change of Circumstances will result in the claimant being invited to claim PIP.

From your post you reported a Change of Circumstances, if this was done at a time when your postcode was not active for PIP then you should have been re-assessed for DLA, but having now been invited to claim PIP you cannot retain your DLA claim, your only option would be to make a complaint to the DWP about the matter.

You should be careful in drawing analogies between the DLA cooking test and the PIP one, whilst there are many similarities there are also many differences.

For PIP the microwave is included as an alternative cooking mechanism to the hob, it is seen as a being quicker and simpler method of cooking.

Some of the issues that using a microwave might present are dealing with pots that might be far hotter than intended, food that is not cooked properly because incorrect timings have been used or the mixture of food has resulted in the items cooking at different speeds, handling hot plates and pots in a limited space, steam being released from sealed or covered pots, being able to program and operate a microwave in the first place.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katykat

More
8 years 10 months ago #136676 by Katykat
Replied by Katykat on topic I'm a bit miffed
Thank you Gordon. My particular problem with the microwave is that it is built in therefore higher than the hob and the oven. On good days, this is just a minor hitch and DWP wouldn't really consider the height of the microwave anyway ( probably would just advise to get another microwave). But on days when I am in severe pain, I can't hold any dishes, so it wouldn't matter what the height was. I will incorporate your points in my application as obviously I didn't do this on my DLA form. I think the rest of my original points should still stand though, ie: peeling & chopping veg, cutting food, handling pans etc.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136677 by Katykat
Also, I started the PIP claim by telephone and told the advisor that I spent a long time with my DLA claim printing out copies of my medical records & supporting evidence. He told me that DWP can access all these and use them in my PIP claim. I'm not sure that I should rely on this or print them all off again.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136699 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I'm a bit miffed

Katykat wrote: Also, I started the PIP claim by telephone and told the advisor that I spent a long time with my DLA claim printing out copies of my medical records & supporting evidence. He told me that DWP can access all these and use them in my PIP claim. I'm not sure that I should rely on this or print them all off again.

If it is attached to your form then they should read it, if it is in the DWP archive then they have a choice over whether they do or not, which in the majority of cases means that they won't.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katykat

More
8 years 10 months ago #136783 by Katykat
So, should I take it that I should print it all off again resend it?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.