× Members

ESA Assessment delays

• boxergirl@btinternet.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136665 by boxergirl@btinternet.com
ESA Assessment delays was created by boxergirl@btinternet.com
I first claimed ESA (contribution based) March 2014. I completed the form the DWP sent me, (can't remember the form number) which they said had to be back to them by August 2014, this was done. I next heard from the DWP in February 2015, saying that on March 27th 2015 my benefit will stop as the 52 week period would be reached. I contacted the DWP immediately, and they said that as I still hadn't been assessed, there was nothing they could do. I eventually got an appointment to attend my assessment on 26th May. I attended the appointment, arriving on time, I was asked to wait, after about 15 minutes, I was called and told that the appointment would have to be cancelled as I needed to see a doctor, and that there was NO doctor there who could see me. The receptionist apologised and said a new appointment would be sent to me a.s.a.p.and then I left.
I've left things for a couple of weeks, and I still have not received a new appointment. I telephoned the appointment centre at Wembley today, and was told that I need to see a Doctor that has Neurological experience, and unfortunately, there are NO appointments for the for- seeable future with such a doctor!!!! what can I do? I have been paid no money since March 2015, and it looks like I will not be getting any money for months.
Can I do anything about this? I hope there is someone who can advise me on what action to take, if any. I really need some help. Caroline
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #136667 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA Assessment delays
Caroline

I'm afraid there is little you can do other than contact your MP, see

Contacting your MP

Unfortunately, the law was written in the belief that ESA assessments would be completed within the 13 weeks intended and not the current situation where the average waiting time is supposed to be 8 months although we are still seeing claimants like yourself who have been waiting over a year.

Have you checked to see whether you would entitled to Income Related ESA. ESA(IR) is dependant on your household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

If you cancel your claim to switch to JSA then you will lose any back payments that you would be due if you are placed in one of the groups.

If you are placed in the WRAG then you will receive back payments from week 14 until day 365 of your claim, but you will have no on-going payments although you will receive NI Credits that count towards a full State Pension.

If you are placed in the Support Group then the back payments would be from week 14 to the date of the Decision and you would continue to receive ESA(CB) as long as you remain in the SG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• boxergirl@btinternet.com
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #136669 by boxergirl@btinternet.com
Replied by boxergirl@btinternet.com on topic ESA Assessment delays
Hello Gordon, thank you so very much for your prompt reply, you have really helped me out. I will get in touch with my MP. Take care best wishes Caroline

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.