× Members

Help!!!

More
8 years 10 months ago #136690 by Avril
Help!!! was created by Avril
Hoping someone may be able to give me some info. I have been claiming Contribution ESA for just over a year at assessment rate as I am STILL waiting for them to do medical assessment. I know they are running behind but they state 13 weeks and it's been 54 weeks despite ringing and asking WHEN!!?? My Contribution ESA is now stopping - so what am I supposed to do for money??? Admittedly I receive enhanced PIP both care and mobility but that money has to pay for a roof over my head and help towards utility bills. I send a 'sick note' in to Jobcentreplus every 2 months which says my dr states I'm not fit for work. Does anyone know if I can put a complaint in and if so who to - feeling really desperate in fact veering towards suicidal as I already suffer clinical depression and anxiety disorder plus having to deal with a chronic condition that gives me 24/7 acute pain and fatigue. Any info at all would be very welcome please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136694 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help!!!
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Unfortunately, you are not alone ! :(

Many of our members have been stuck in The ESA Assessment Phase for 12 months or more.

Unfortunately, there is no legislation that stipulates the amount of time that the Assessment Phase can last, the 13 weeks is only a guide.

The first thing that you could do is contact DWP ESA and request an ESA 3 Financial Assessment Form to see whether you can pass the means test for Income Related (IR) ESA.

Sample ESA 3 Form

This will be used to assess whether you can pass The IR ESA means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income and any hours worked by a partner if you have one:

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

PIP is not classed as Household Income for IR ESA means test purposes, so they won't count that.

Further, as you have a PIP Daily Living Award, if you are entitled to IR ESA, you may be entitled to The Severe Disability Premium (SDP) if you can fulfil the other qualifying criteria :

ESA Premiums

If you have IR ESA entitlement, your ESA payments will continue, and if/when you are assessed and placed into The WRAG or The SG, any extra monies should be backdated to the start of week 14 of your ESA claim.

You could also contact DWP ESA and request that they expedite an assessment, as you are suffering financial hardship.

You can contact ESA by phone, but it may be best to back up in writing :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA. (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

Complaining to The DWP

Sending Documents to the DWP.

In addition, you could complain to your M.P. :

Contacting your MP

They have helped several of our members in similar situations.

Good luck and please keep us updated by replying to this topic.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136735 by Avril
Replied by Avril on topic Help!!!
Thank you for all the info bro58. Since posting my enquiry I contacted DWP by phone who gave me a number for the Medical Sevices Team - I rang the number and was answered almost immediately - which was my first surprise!!! I had to do some pleading but the really helpful young lady eventually said she would get one of their managers to ring me back which he did within the hour - this was second surprise!! I started to explain my problem but he interrupted me because he was able to tell me they had an appointment date and time for my assessment - this was the third surprise and unbelievable as I have been waiting a year - rang many times over past couple of months only to be told nothing they can do I'd just have to wait. It's amazing that out of the blue I am offered an appointment - all be it short notice - it's this Thursday 25 June. I am still 'gob smacked' - now I need to get some tips on how to have a successful assessment. Hopefully next time I post it will also be good news :)

• bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136740 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Help!!!

Avril wrote: Thank you for all the info bro58. Since posting my enquiry I contacted DWP by phone who gave me a number for the Medical Sevices Team - I rang the number and was answered almost immediately - which was my first surprise!!! I had to do some pleading but the really helpful young lady eventually said she would get one of their managers to ring me back which he did within the hour - this was second surprise!! I started to explain my problem but he interrupted me because he was able to tell me they had an appointment date and time for my assessment - this was the third surprise and unbelievable as I have been waiting a year - rang many times over past couple of months only to be told nothing they can do I'd just have to wait. It's amazing that out of the blue I am offered an appointment - all be it short notice - it's this Thursday 25 June. I am still 'gob smacked' - now I need to get some tips on how to have a successful assessment. Hopefully next time I post it will also be good news :)

Hi A,

Really pleased that you have managed to resolve the issue !! :)

You should be aware that how you manage to travel to and from the Assessment Centre will be taken into account as part of the actual assessment itself, especially if you have stated that you have Mobility problems or limitations in going out.

So be prepared for questions regarding the above.

You may also be observed on approaching, whilst inside and on leaving the building.

Assumptions may be made by the Assessor as a result of such observations, and this may in turn result in comments/recommendation being made within The ESA85 Medical report that the Assessor will compile and send back to The DWP ESA DM.

Have a look at the information from this link :

ESA Medical – What to expect

You can find the WCA Handbook under the heading DWP ESA Resources on : This Page.

Good luck and please let us know how you got on !! :)

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.