× Members

Obtaining a copy of a phone conversation?

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136736 by Jonathan
Hi there,

I spoke to DWP on the phone about an ESA matter a few weeks ago - now they're suggesting I said something that I know I didn't, because what they're alleging I said is not true! They have provided a log of the call which is more like a high-level overview, but not an actual verbatim transcript of what was said.

All calls are apparently recorded, so is it possible to obtain an actual copy of the audio recording - and would this be obtainable by a SAR, do you think, or is there another approach to obtain it?

DWP are relying on this telephone call to uphold a decision that will likely go to tribunal. If I can get a copy of the call as evidence to provide to the tribunal, it will surely prove that they're wrong.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136741 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Obtaining a copy of a phone conversation?

Jonathan wrote: Hi there,

I spoke to DWP on the phone about an ESA matter a few weeks ago - now they're suggesting I said something that I know I didn't, because what they're alleging I said is not true! They have provided a log of the call which is more like a high-level overview, but not an actual verbatim transcript of what was said.

All calls are apparently recorded, so is it possible to obtain an actual copy of the audio recording - and would this be obtainable by a SAR, do you think, or is there another approach to obtain it?

DWP are relying on this telephone call to uphold a decision that will likely go to tribunal. If I can get a copy of the call as evidence to provide to the tribunal, it will surely prove that they're wrong.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi J,

As the recording of the phone call is pertaining to your personal information, it is covered under The DPA 1998. You should therefore be able to obtain a copy of the recording via a SAR.

bro58

• bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136742 by bro58
Hi J,

Just too add,

I have made SAR's to various organisations for copies of phone conversations and have always managed to gain copy of the recordings on CD Discs.

Once you have the copy, you can highlight any relevant extracts in verbatim transcript.

As an aside, I would recommend that claimants always covertly record any telephone conversations with The DWP.

This is perfectly legal.

bro58

More
8 years 10 months ago #136744 by Jonathan
Replied by Jonathan on topic Obtaining a copy of a phone conversation?
Thanks bro - they'll be getting a SAR in the post in the next few days then :laugh:

I totally agree with what you said about covertly recording phone calls - I wish I had. They caught me by surprise at the time because they instigated the phone call and I naively thought they'd truthfully relay what I said :(

• bro58
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #136746 by bro58

Jonathan wrote: Thanks bro - they'll be getting a SAR in the post in the next few days then :laugh:

I totally agree with what you said about covertly recording phone calls - I wish I had. They caught me by surprise at the time because they instigated the phone call and I naively thought they'd truthfully relay what I said :(

Hi J,

Yes, unfortunately the time has passed where DWP can be trusted !

As a reminder :

SAR Form Download

From this page :

DWP Data Protection Policy

Or you can make the request in the form of a letter, as long as you make it clear that you are making a formal SAR under The Data Protection Act 1998.

Address the envelope : FAO The Data Controller, at the address of the Benefits Office/Centre on your most recent ESA letter.

Write DPA 1998 SAR in front, top, left corner of envelope.

Once received, they have 40 calendar days to comply.

Sending Documents to the DWP.

ICO SAR.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.