× Members

PIP & car tax what they don't tell you

More
8 years 10 months ago #136811 by bigcat
I used to get free car tax with DLA because of High Rate Mobility and car was in Disabled Class for taxation. After being transferred to PIP I lost the High Rate(enhanced) rate as i was given 10 points and need 12 for this. My award letter for PIP told me I had a week to get my car taxed as it would be cancelled and even my insurance would be invalid. I went off and taxed the car for 6months. What the PIP award letter did not tell me and I have found out since is that if you have standard rate 8points(i think) you are entitled to a 50% reduction in road tax. Why doesn't the PIP award letter state this ? because I suspect they don't want everyone to know and want folks to tax at full rate.
i have spoken to DVLA and have to send them 1. PIP award letter.2.V5C vehicle reg cert for taxation class to be changed to 50% 3. V10 application for tax form. 4. Cert of ins. 5.MOT . 6. Cheque for 50% of car tax. I am told I will be given a refund for what remains that i have paid.
What is really worrying is that the award PIP letter only gave me a week to tax or insurance would be invalid,what if I was away on holiday driving around unaware doesn't bear thinking about,who are these people making these things law? Flawed or what. I feel a letter to my MP coming on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sharon, Gordon, JenJJ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.