× Members

Representative

More
9 years 2 months ago #136829 by student2007
Representative was created by student2007
Hi,

Could I ask some advice please?

My mum has a tribunal coming up. We have a learning disability support representative. However, she has only been on my mums case in the last 3 weeks. There was a change in the person helping us due to changes in the organisation.

With a week to go our new representative came out today to go over any last minute bits with us. But I don't feel that confident in the support she will provide on the day.

For example, we are working on a document to submit with the supporting evidence, summarising the main points and picking out 'new' info. The old rep did a draft for us to check over and add any additions. We did that and I emailed it to the new rep but when she came today she hadn't made any changes and just said she couldn't do that as certain points she hadn't witnessed for herself.

Also I asked her if she could famillarise herself with regulation 29 but when she came today she said I could argue the point but she couldn't do it.

She basically said she would be a support on the day. However, our old rep said she would do things like prompt mum and she had made a note of the criteria we are trying to win points on. I know my mums file has been passed to the new rep but I'm unsure she will try and help us gain the points we are trying to seek. I hope I have made sense.

Is my understanding of the ways a rep can help skewed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #136833 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Representative
student2007

Representatives can perform a variety of roles in preparing for a Tribunal and at the hearing itself, but unless the claimant has issues with communication or cognitive problems that would hinder their understanding of the questions being asked of them, then their role at the hearing will be limited as the panel will want to hear from your mother primarily.

Is the old Rep still contactable, perhaps you can raise your concerns with them, perhaps they can brief the new one in, more detail about your case.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #136838 by student2007
Replied by student2007 on topic Representative
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your response.

My mum has great difficulty with understanding even when something Is repeatedly explained to her. This is part of my worry about how she will cope on the day of the tribunal. Even preparing is difficult because i can't jot down notes in a way she will understand to jog her memory on the day. However to get an assessment the local learning disability team have identified that she needs her cognitive abilities assessed but that they don't offer this as routine. And we can't afford to go private.

I'm sorry to digress, i just feel overwhelmed a lot. I wouldn't be able to contact the old rep, as in a previous appointment she came out to do the hand over with the new rep before she moved elsewhere.

I read the pinned posted on the ways a good rep can help and now i am really worried we could have been given much better advice and support.

More
9 years 2 months ago #136866 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Representative

student2007 wrote: Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your response.

My mum has great difficulty with understanding even when something Is repeatedly explained to her. This is part of my worry about how she will cope on the day of the tribunal. Even preparing is difficult because i can't jot down notes in a way she will understand to jog her memory on the day. However to get an assessment the local learning disability team have identified that she needs her cognitive abilities assessed but that they don't offer this as routine. And we can't afford to go private.

I'm sorry to digress, i just feel overwhelmed a lot. I wouldn't be able to contact the old rep, as in a previous appointment she came out to do the hand over with the new rep before she moved elsewhere.

I read the pinned posted on the ways a good rep can help and now i am really worried we could have been given much better advice and support.

One thing you can do is to make a short statement about your mother's cognitive issues asking the panel to give her time to answer and to allow her to accept assistance during the hearing from you or her representative.

Type it up in a short letter and hand it to the Clerk of the Court on the day as additional evidence.

They may take no notice of it, but by making the request in writing it has to be part of the official record and may help .

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
9 years 2 months ago #136875 by student2007
Replied by student2007 on topic Representative
Thank you Gordon, I appreciate the advice and I will definitely follow it.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserChrisDavid
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.