× Members

DLA Renewal - advice please

More
8 years 10 months ago #137021 by Zaz
DLA Renewal - advice please was created by Zaz
Hi there,

This will seem long winded but please bear with me and offer any advice if you can.

I live in Spain, have done for about 3 years. With the consent of DWP I hastened to add. Anyway, they have now sent me a renewal form for DLA (although sent it to my mothers address in UK?!)

Firstly, I thought DLA renewals would stop by now, and I'd be asked to fill in a PIP form? Or because of my location, they are not doing that yet?

Secondly, 2 years ago my old UK doctor and I decided that after two and a bit decades of medical intervention with no improvements whatsoever, we would cease medication and therapy as both were actually causing more symptoms, terrible side effects and further distress. I have been at varying levels of crap over that time, but that is no different to with medical help. Added to which, I am not covered for healthcare in spain, so if there is a medical emergency I have to pay privately. So, my problem is that for two years or so, no professional has seen me with relation to my illnesses. So what evidence can I provide that I am still chronically unwell?

The only thing I have is old reports from February 2013, of the UK Doctor saying we are stopping treatment, and my old therapists reports from the same time, who I am no longer in contact with.

Any advice I would really appreciate. Thank you kindly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137062 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic DLA Renewal - advice please
Zaz

Welcome to the forum.

If you have been sent a renewal form for DLA then it will be intentional, we do know of member in Spain who have been assessed for PIP, but perhaps it is still dependant on the area that you live in.

Your situation is not significantly different from claimants in the UK who have been "parked" by the NHS due to lack of treatment options.

You mention that you still have some old reports, has your condition remained the same or deteriorated, if so you may still be able to use these, but you will still need to explain that this is the case.

if you don't think that the reports will be helpful or that they will no longer be representative of your current problems then your options are obviously limited.

Have you spoken to any of the ex-Pats organisations in Spain, they may know of doctors who can prepare a report for you? You could try an in internet search for local support.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137172 by Zaz
Replied by Zaz on topic DLA Renewal - advice please
Dear Gordon

Thank you so much for replying to me and for your help.

This whole process is like a sword of Damocles over my head, I dread opening the letter box incase theres a brown envelope in there. And if you're right about the PIP, then I'll have to go through all this again shortly for PIP. Grrgh.

I am seeing a private psychologist today which is costing an arm and a leg, wartime rations for me for the next few months, he is going to assess me and write a report -stating whats wrong with me etc. Will also have to do that for a private GP. Which leads me to ask one more question of you, hope thats ok....

In the form they ask if I give consent for them to contact my listed professionals yadayada, "if you dont agree this may effect your claim etc etc. " as the professionals Im seeing dont really know me as such and are contacted by the DWP to account for me, it could go pear shaped, but then if i say no to consent it will go pear shaped anyway. What do you think?

Thank you in advance and thank you to your wonderful forum and website, has prevented a lot of sleepless, tearing my hair out, banging my head against the wall nights.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137191 by Gordon
Zaz

Remember that any report that you commission needs to refer to the PIP Descriptors wherever possible for it to have weight with those assessing you.

Really the decision to allow the DWP to contact this psychologist has to be one that you make, perhaps you should wait until you see their report, assuming there is time for you to do so, before making a decision on this.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137194 by ali121
Replied by ali121 on topic DLA Renewal - advice please
HI ,

Can someone please advise when being assessed and filling in the claims form for pip is it best to provide alot of information or is it best too keep it to a limit ?

thanks in advance

Ali

More
8 years 9 months ago #137205 by Gordon

ali wrote: HI ,

Can someone please advise when being assessed and filling in the claims form for pip is it best to provide alot of information or is it best too keep it to a limit ?

thanks in advance

Ali

There's no right or wrong answer, you need to explain detail why you think you meet the criteria in detail with examples of the problems you have and by referencing your evidence.

Conversely what you do not want to do is waffle or supply information that is not relevant.

There is a happy mid ground, you just need to find where this is for you.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.