× Members

ESA Contribution based to Income related ESA.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137058 by Kaysee
Hi,
I started receiving Contribution based ESA in August 2014, June 2015 after a medical assessment I was placed in the Support Group and as I am also in receipt of the enhanced rate of the daily living component of PIP I presumed that the ESA disability premiums would automatically be paid, this was not the case so I telephoned the DWP call centre and was told that the premiums are only paid to Income related claimants and as there is no end date for CB Support Group claimants the premiums would therefore not be paid. I was so taken aback by this that I just accepted what was said but now I am wondering if its possible for me to be swapped over from CB to IR and if so how would I go about it.
I would be grateful for any advice as am feeling totally exhausted by the whole process and do not want to just admit defeat on the disability premiums issue.

KC
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137061 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Contribution based to Income related ESA.
Hi KC,

Welcome to the forum. On the assumption that you are also new to the site, this link should help you find your way around.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Contributory benefit is always paid in preference to income-related if the claimant is eligible. However, you can claim an income-related 'top up' if you live alone and have little other income or you live with a partner who works less than 24hours*. You would then be eligible for the ESA premiums as well as free-prescriptions etc. If you think you might qualify for income-related ESA you should contact DWP and ask them to send you a form ESA3. This will assess your financial situation but does not reassess your medical entitlement to the benefit.

24 hour work rule for ESA(IR)

* in brief, there is also a limit to savings held and actual wage earned by a partner.

Asset rule for ESA(IR)

If you have further questions please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now. When the forum is closed you are still able to access our guides and also view the FAQs which are in the 'spotlights' area at the top of the forum :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137098 by Kaysee
Thank you for the info,much appreciated and I will certainly request the ESA3 form today.

KC
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.