× Members

WRAG PROBLEM AFTER CALLING IN SICK

More
8 years 9 months ago #137152 by jpg2502
WRAG PROBLEM AFTER CALLING IN SICK was created by jpg2502
hi. im probably worrying about nothing.

but today i had an appointment with my adviser at 4pm. i had chronic anxiety this morning, and a migraine which i can get in the heat sometimes.
i called up the work programme provider at midday to ask to rearrange the appointment as i was not well. i spoke to my adviser and he said : ''hang on let me check if it was a mandatory appointment or not (silence for a few seconds), yes its mandatory, you will get a letter from the job centre, make sure you write on the back of it what was wrong with you and get a doctors note''

i found this strange as i called in sick once before and never got told this. and i only asked to rearrange the appointment, and i actually called in, its not like i did not turn up, why will i be getting a letter from DWP ?! im confused now, and im also confused by this 'mandatory' thing hes talking about, i always assumed i had to go to the appointments anyway, :unsure:

does this mean im being sanctioned (something i thought happened if you were just a no show).

this WRAG group in general is actually making me worse, but i just try and grin and bear it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137154 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic WRAG PROBLEM AFTER CALLING IN SICK
Jay

Unfortunately the fact is that you did not attend the meeting! Phoning up to say that you cannot attend, however reasonable your reasons might be, does not change this.

Your advisor will now report the incident to the DWP who should then right to you to understand your reasons for not attending, in addition to your health problems on the day you should have a look at any letter that you received in regard to this appointment. Any mandatory appointment must be notified in writing and it must be clear in the letter that the appointment is mandatory and that failing to attend can result in your benefit being sanctioned.

If you did not receive a letter or the letter did make it clear that the appointment was mandatory then you should inform the DWP of this when you reply to their letter.

If you are sanctioned then it will be for a minimum of four weeks and until you attend the missed appointment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137169 by jpg2502
Replied by jpg2502 on topic WRAG PROBLEM AFTER CALLING IN SICK

Gordon wrote: Jay

Unfortunately the fact is that you did not attend the meeting! Phoning up to say that you cannot attend, however reasonable your reasons might be, does not change this.

Your advisor will now report the incident to the DWP who should then right to you to understand your reasons for not attending, in addition to your health problems on the day you should have a look at any letter that you received in regard to this appointment. Any mandatory appointment must be notified in writing and it must be clear in the letter that the appointment is mandatory and that failing to attend can result in your benefit being sanctioned.

If you did not receive a letter or the letter did make it clear that the appointment was mandatory then you should inform the DWP of this when you reply to their letter.

If you are sanctioned then it will be for a minimum of four weeks and until you attend the missed appointment.

Gordon

4 weeks? i was under the impression your first sanction on ESA is one week.
is it likely i will be sanctioned for not attending due to illness?

More
8 years 9 months ago #137171 by jpg2502
Replied by jpg2502 on topic WRAG PROBLEM AFTER CALLING IN SICK

Gordon wrote: Jay

Gordon

also, to add, i have not got a printed letter stating 'mandatory', i was just told when to attend the next appointment, along with a slip which he wrote down the appointment details on. which i still have.

and when sanctions are made, do i get the chance to explain myself first? or do i get the money taken off me, and given back at a later date if they decide i should not have been sanctioned.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137179 by Gordon

jay wrote:
4 weeks? i was under the impression your first sanction on ESA is one week.
is it likely i will be sanctioned for not attending due to illness?

No you're right. That'll teach me not to check our own FAQs :blush:

For you to be sanctioned, the appointment has to have been mandatory, see my comments about the appointment letter and and your reasons for not attending are rejected.

It is possible, if the DWP Decision Maker believes your anxiety to be controllable and/or your record of attendance at previous meetings was good that they will decide you were capable of attending. This is entirely down to the DM on the day,
I'm afraid we only have statistical information from the DWP on how often sanctions are applied to ESA claimants, but they lack context, for example they do not include information about how many WRAG claimants failed to meet a mandatory requirement and therefore could have been sanctioned versus how many actually were.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137181 by Gordon

jay wrote: also, to add, i have not got a printed letter stating 'mandatory', i was just told when to attend the next appointment, along with a slip which he wrote down the appointment details on. which i still have.

and when sanctions are made, do i get the chance to explain myself first? or do i get the money taken off me, and given back at a later date if they decide i should not have been sanctioned.

The first stage of the process is that the DWP should write to you for an explanation of why you failed to attend, you need to explain that you were ill on the day and that you did not believe that the appointment was mandatory because you had not been notified.

If the Decision Maker accepts your reasons no sanction will be applied, if they do not, then you will have to appeal it, the first stage of this is to request Mandatory Reconsideration.

If the sanctions are applied and you get the Decision overturned later then any lost money will be repaid.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.