× Members

ESA - Query

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137168 by Tim
ESA - Query was created by Tim
I am currently in receipt of ESA.. I am in the support group..

But I have a letter dated 27/07/2012 saying that I may be contacted after 18/07/2015 and be re-assessed for the benefit..

As of today.. 01/07/2015.. I have heard nothing from the DWP..

What should I do ?

Contact them.. or do nothing and sit tight..

I have had MS since 2005.. and it has progressed to such a point that I will never work again..

I am not bothered about a medical as one look at my records.. will be enough to ensure that I will stay in the support group..
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137175 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA - Query

Tim wrote: I am currently in receipt of ESA.. I am in the support group..

But I have a letter dated 27/07/2012 saying that I may be contacted after 18/07/2015 and be re-assessed for the benefit..

As of today.. 01/07/2015.. I have heard nothing from the DWP..

What should I do ?

Contact them.. or do nothing and sit tight..

I have had MS since 2005.. and it has progressed to such a point that I will never work again..

I am not bothered about a medical as one look at my records.. will be enough to ensure that I will stay in the support group..

Hi T,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

From what you have written, you were placed in The Support Group (SG) circa 27/07/12 with a recommendation that your award should not be reassessed for 3 years.

This recommended period before reassessment is known as the "prognosis" of the award.

"Usually" the maximum prognosis is 3 years.

However, since January 2014 ESA reassessments have been getting deferred due to the huge backlog, and we have many members who have now gone 4-5 years since their last award.

You do not have to do anything to instigate your next reassessment, however to relieve the 4 week deadline time constraints to fill in and return your ESA50 once you receive it, you could consider :

Using The PDF Version Of The ESA50 Questionnaire

Whilst referring to the guides on this page, 3rd & 4th links down :

ESA Claims Guides

See also :

How long do I have to complete the ESA50?

ESA50 too big for the envelope

&

Sending Documents to the DWP or Maximus. (CHDA)

Or, if you wish, you could ring ESA to find out when your next reassessment is due to start :

THE ESA PHONE NUMBER DWP : 0345 608 8545 Press Option 3 for ESA. (Open 8AM-6PM. Mon-Fri.)

They will be able to access your ESA file on-screen which will indicate your next recommended reassessment date.

Many of our members have done this, and it should not instigate an "early" reassessment.

Here are some topics on ESA reassessment deferrals :

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...&limitstart=0#126468

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...=10&id=103451#131388

There have been changes to The ESA50 and ESA Legislation since 2012, and these changes are reflected in our guides.

It may be risky to assume that you will be placed into The SG, as your conditions have deteriorated, even though that would be a logical assumption.

If/When you do receive a fresh ESA50, you should treat it as if it is your first, it is unlikely that the assessor who views your ESA50 will have access to your historical data, and they may not even know that you are currently in The SG.

Another change since 2012 is that : The Centre for Health and Disability Assessments (CHDA) (Maximus) took over the ESA WCA Contract from ATOS on 02/03/15.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.