× Members

PIP Reassessments after first claim

More
8 years 9 months ago #137183 by Jimbob96
PIP Reassessments after first claim was created by Jimbob96
When I first claimed PIP was on its first introduction and the system was in a shambles. I was initially awarded no care component and the standard mobility component. I asked for a reconsideration and still same result. Took it to appeal myself and was made to feel awful by the panel and perhaps in hindsight I should have had someone there with me.

However my award was made until January 2016. So I was surprised in March to receive a letter for a reassessment of my PIP award. So I went along, advisor was helpful. Now had my reconsideration decision and awarded Enhanced Care Component and standard mobility. They understand that I may need someone to travel with me hence the Enhanced Care Component, yet the award me ) points for planning and making a journey. The decision makers reasoning was as I have and use a car and despite being on anti depressants, there was no indication I had cognitive impairments to make or plan a journey.

Another issue was that my awarded was made from the date the decision letter arrived which was the 24th June 2015. The award is now until June 2018 for both components, yet the money was not backdated to when I had the reassessment in March 2015. I spoke with the PIP helpline and was hoodwinked into making a formal reconsideration request. I did not want that as all I wanted to know was why the award had not been backdated to the reassessment? The difficulties and symptoms did not magically appear on 24th June which was when the award was made and the decision letter received. It was evident in March when I went for the reassessment which was also the time to notify them my symptoms and difficulties had changed. I have cancelled the reconsideration request as I am happy with the decision, I just query why the payment has not been backdated? The advisors on the PIP helpline could see my point of view but unable to explain so it has been left to the decision make to call me and explain why the award was not backdated.

I wondered if this was a back door way of Government benefit cuts. If on a reassessment they do not backdate payments then what savings are the scheduled to make. Since the reassessment in March 2015, I was told a number of times by the PIP helpline that the priority was for existing DLA claimants to be processed on to PIP. And to quote:

"As you are already receiving an award, you are not priority"

The system is a complete shambles where I too have gone from 0 points on care to the Enhanced Care Component over a matter of months.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137198 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Reassessments after first claim
James

I am afraid, from your post, there appears to be no reason for any backdating to be done.

The DWP are re-assessing most PIP claims a year in advance of the award ending, the dates in your post are consistent with this being the reason why they looked at your claim again this year.

Again from your post, you do not appear to have notified the DWP of any change in needs since it was originally awarded so there would be need for the Decision to apply on any day other than the one it was made on.

I think you may be confused over the PIP criteria, Enhanced Care would not be awarded because you need someone to travel with you, this is one of the Mobility criteria.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.