× Members

Should I seek a mandatory reconsideration

• Clelld69
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137467 by Clelld69
I recently had my assessment for pip. I was awarded at the standard rate for both daily living and mobility. Under dla I was receiving middle care and higher mobility. Now I'm losing 1/3 of my money and am confused as to what I should do.

After reading the guide on here, it said that dwp can amend their decision either way, and so I risk losing it all.

However, the reasons they state for not giving me any points are inaccurate. Eg, they said I managed to walk to the assessment room which was more than 20 metres but less than 50 metres. What they hadn't said was when I reached the assessment room, I was breathless and on the way out I was dizzy. Furthermore, walking more than 20 metres was me on a good day. I suffer fizzy turns even just walking to the front door in the house which is less than 10 metres. Also that it is a choice thing to take a companion with me when I go out. This is more a case of necessity given the dizzy turns I take.

There are several other examples where if they had more detailed information as to how my disability affects me, it would change the points awarded. However, I'm just scared to lose the award in its entirety

Any thoughts please.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137472 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Should I seek a mandatory reconsideration
Hi Celld69,

Well done on being awarded PIP, it has deliberately been made more difficult to get than DLA as the stated purpose is to reduce the financial cost.

You are right in saying that the MR (or, later, tribunal) can reduce the award as well as increasing it. You need to be sure in your own mind that your current award is secure before asking for MR. You can then add extra supporting evidence or draw the Decision Maker's attention to the things you have already submitted. If the MR process resulted in your PIP being stopped, you could still appeal against this.

Please have a good look at the MR advice in our PIP guide, then reply to this message if/when you have more questions.

PIP help for claimants

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clelld69

• Clelld69
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #137843 by Clelld69
Replied by Clelld69 on topic Should I seek a mandatory reconsideration
Whilst it's annoying that they have twisted the facts, I'm not ready to gamble on losing my money, couldn't afford to. I will however be a lot wiser next time around when the form has to be completed again.

So much for this government saying that the disabled being protected. By making them decide whether to go for a mr and risk their money is nothing more than obscene. I had hoped that my rate under dla would have stayed the same as I was considering swapping the benefit for the car and get me out the house more. Now it looks as if I'm condemned to only getting out for hospital or doctors appointments.

My decision will be final once I see a copy of my medical report to see what exactly the health professional put down.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago #137849 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Should I seek a mandatory reconsideration

Clelld69 wrote: Whilst it's annoying that they have twisted the facts, I'm not ready to gamble on losing my money, couldn't afford to. I will however be a lot wiser next time around when the form has to be completed again.

So much for this government saying that the disabled being protected. By making them decide whether to go for a mr and risk their money is nothing more than obscene. I had hoped that my rate under dla would have stayed the same as I was considering swapping the benefit for the car and get me out the house more. Now it looks as if I'm condemned to only getting out for hospital or doctors appointments.

My decision will be final once I see a copy of my medical report to see what exactly the health professional put down.

Hi C69,

It is only a decision that you can make.

Regarding your PIP Standard Awards for "both" see : This Post.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.