× Members

EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto?

More
8 years 9 months ago #137669 by Justin@73
EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto? was created by Justin@73
Hello,

I've been a member of this website for 6 months now. I've not been in the position to use this forum and the guides until recently. All my other visually impaired friends have been through the migration to ESA process from summer 2012 - Winter 2014. All this time and nothing for me, until now.
Received letter on 22nd June. Received phone call on 1st July and the ESA50 on 4th July.

The section about moving around safely and steps; (I'm severely sight impaired myself) it asks if I can go up, or down "2 steps" without help if there's a rail there.

Really? A rail for just 2 steps. Is there a rail in existence THAT short enough to cover just two steps?
The question I need to ask is how of earth do I get around this? Two steps air just about manageable with my long cane but, a rail? I've never come across a rail for that few a steps.

I do feel unsafe going down steps. More so that going up. It's a lot harder when the steps don't have white or yellow edging ( a lot of steps outside buildings don't have this edging). I rail can make things safer, as long as the rail is not on my right side where I use my long cane with.

Well, anyway, it's this "steps rail" thing. I don't know how to take this question, literally or does it need more thought on my part before answering?

Thanks, :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137689 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto?
JR

You are over thinking this, the test is as written

(b) Cannot mount or descend two steps unaided by another person even with the support of a handrail.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago #137692 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto?
Hi JR73,

I will just provide a link to my response : Here.

As this is also related to your ESA Assessment.

You can now post any other queries that you have to this topic.

bro58

More
8 years 9 months ago #137728 by Justin@73
Replied by Justin@73 on topic EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto?
Thanks for the response guys. Just glad that someone from a Visual impairment charity will be seeing me to help sort this form out as I'm having trouble understanding some of the questions in relation to what information they want.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago #137730 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic EAS50 steps with a rail to hold onto?

JR73 wrote: Thanks for the response guys. Just glad that someone from a Visual impairment charity will be seeing me to help sort this form out as I'm having trouble understanding some of the questions in relation to what information they want.

Yes JR73,

The questions in The ESA50 are quite ambiguous.

That is where our guides come in, they indicate how a particular question is relevant to the corresponding qualifying ESA Activity/Descriptor, and what the question is "really" asking.

Please keep us updated.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.