× Members

PIP Mobility query?

More
8 years 9 months ago #137726 by Gareth56
PIP Mobility query? was created by Gareth56
If you require a walking frame to mobilise around the house and an electric mobility scooter when outdoors because walking any distance is extremely difficult and painful would that be qualifying criteria for the PIP Enhanced Rate of Mobility?

Thanks

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137745 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mobility query?

Gareth wrote: If you require a walking frame to mobilise around the house and an electric mobility scooter when outdoors because walking any distance is extremely difficult and painful would that be qualifying criteria for the PIP Enhanced Rate of Mobility?

Thanks

Not quite in these terms.

First the test is of your ability to walk outside, the use of a wheelchair, powered or not is not considered and the walking frame will be included unless it usage is shown to be unreasonable.

First I assume that you do not expect to score points for Going Out as these count towards a Mobility award as well.

The tests for the Enhanced rate are

e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.

or

f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –
(i) stand; or
(ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

They are explained in more detail in the PIP Claim guide.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gareth56

More
8 years 9 months ago #137762 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic PIP Mobility query?
Thanks Gordon. Just a point of clarification. If the only way you can get from A to B outside is by either electric mobility scooter or being pushed in a wheelchair because walking any distance is painful etc. would that score 12 points?

Thank you.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137773 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Mobility query?

Gareth wrote: Thanks Gordon. Just a point of clarification. If the only way you can get from A to B outside is by either electric mobility scooter or being pushed in a wheelchair because walking any distance is painful etc. would that score 12 points?

Thank you.

I'm sorry if it seems I am being pedantic over this, but this is not the test, you must show that the reason you must use a powered chair or be pushed in a un-powered one to get around is;

because you cannot reliably stand and move (walk) more than 20m either aided or unaided.

At the risk of a bad joke you are putting the wheelchair before the claimant.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gareth56

More
8 years 9 months ago #137793 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic PIP Mobility query?
You're not being pedantic at all just me being dense!!

many thanks I now understand the issue. Reason first solution after. :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.