× Members

Carers Allowance and ESA

More
8 years 9 months ago #137717 by little effie
Carers Allowance and ESA was created by little effie
Hi again bro,
Just a little confused that ,if I am reading it correctly, you say carers and esa cannot be claimed at the same time? There are certain circumstances where it can be although the carers allowance amount is taken off any esa payment.
As when you get esa for mental health problems but can be physically supportive and vice versa.I was quite surprised but is has been allowed with us .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137727 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Carers Allowance and ESA

steffi wrote: Hi again bro,
Just a little confused that ,if I am reading it correctly, you say carers and esa cannot be claimed at the same time? There are certain circumstances where it can be although the carers allowance amount is taken off any esa payment.
As when you get esa for mental health problems but can be physically supportive and vice versa.I was quite surprised but is has been allowed with us .

Hi s,

I have given your post it's own topic as it is not relevant to the other member's topic.

You cannot receive Carers Allowance (CA) and Contributions Based (CB) ESA they are "overlapping benefits"

The scenario that you speak of would be with respect to Income Related (IR) ESA where the CA would be classed as deductible household income and deducted from any IR ESA entitlement.

There is the also the scenario where one cannot be paid CA, but has an "underlying entitlement" to CA, which results in them being paid The Carer Premium (CP) as an IR ESA Premium top-up.

Being paid The CP is not the same as being paid full CA.

The CP is currently £34.60/Week

Full CA is currently £62.10/Week

Have a look at the information regarding CA/CP in : This Post.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137731 by little effie
Replied by little effie on topic Carers Allowance and ESA
Hi bro,
Yep that's what I thought but under a special rule which I still haven't got my head round they pay my CB esa sg minus carers allowance amount fortnightly and my carers allowance weekly so no extra money on top of cb esa sg but paid as two different benefits! They have repeatedly told me this is under special rules which may have come about as being on carers before esa claim so as carers is a protected income/benefit?. I have looked and looked for information but cannot find anything about this but there obviously is a situation where this can happen.I have it in writing stating this and have phoned esa and CA a few times and it is under certain special circumstances allowed.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137747 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carers Allowance and ESA

steffi wrote: Hi bro,
Yep that's what I thought but under a special rule which I still haven't got my head round they pay my CB esa sg minus carers allowance amount fortnightly and my carers allowance weekly so no extra money on top of cb esa sg but paid as two different benefits! They have repeatedly told me this is under special rules which may have come about as being on carers before esa claim so as carers is a protected income/benefit?. I have looked and looked for information but cannot find anything about this but there obviously is a situation where this can happen.I have it in writing stating this and have phoned esa and CA a few times and it is under certain special circumstances allowed.

Without going through the legislation it's impossible to comment, but I have never heard of this being done before, it would certainly disadvantage you if a pension was in payment as you would lose entitlement to payment earlier than someone else where the CA was treated as an overlapping benefit.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137751 by little effie
Replied by little effie on topic Carers Allowance and ESA
Hi Gordon,

Thanks for information as I have checked and rechecked and this is what they are doing and I have been concerned as I have not managed to find the consequence of this. I recently filled in an Esa3 to get them to check all was correct ,especially with all that may or may not be changing with welfare changes , with hubby on ir esa as well and they insist this is the best for us.
I think I shall ask for further explanation tomorrow .
Steffi

More
8 years 9 months ago #137756 by raindaisy
Replied by raindaisy on topic Carers Allowance and ESA
steffi last year this happened to me. I am a carer. i was on carers allowance. I told by medical pro's , work will make me ill. i said put that in writng. they did. on the advice of JCP advisor , i applied for CB ESA. Told i was entitled as Nat Ins was not up to date. 3 months later , i challenged this. I was allowed ESA. CB. First DWP ESA paid me £11.00 to "top up" my CA , paid weekly. Then Carers Unit stopped my CA. Also there was impact on OH IR ESA.

I kicked off , and the Carers Unit were really helpful. They said there should be "no topping " full ESA should be paid . end Of.

ESA then paid the full amount. I remained to have "underlying entitlement" so the Carers Premium was included in OH applicable amount....nightmare. as a result of being awarded ESA SG...my husband is no longer on income related ESA. we are not "better off" ...as passport benefits , teeth, eyes, etc are no longer free and we now have to contribute to rent , as HB is no longer automatic. Good Luck

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.