× Members

University and ESA

More
8 years 9 months ago #137759 by annie-rose
University and ESA was created by annie-rose
Hello,

I'm due to return to my University course having taken several years of leave on medical grounds. Although I don't think I'm well enough to return (I'm struggling with basic tasks) I have to return this September because otherwise I will have exceeded the maximum permitted time for my degree and will be withdrawn from my degree course (I am in year 3 of 4).

I have applied for full loans (Maintenance loan and Special Support Grant at Maximum rate) and am just wondering whether this means my Income Related [Assessment Rate- even after 18 months] ESA will be discontinued? I am in receipt of the Enhanced Care Rate of PIP.

I was also wondering whether I can claim Housing Benefit and whether I would get a reduced rate? My mental health condition means I must live alone and I'm worried about the cost of studio/one bedroom accommodation.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137778 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic University and ESA
Ellie

As previously advised, at least some of the monies you receive will be treated as income in regard to your ESA(IR). See

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...d-questions-students

I'm afraid we don't advise on Housing Benefit.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137802 by annie-rose
Replied by annie-rose on topic University and ESA
Thanks Gordon. I don't think I've asked this question before so it might have been an answer to someone else?

I've just read that they deduct £1 for every £250 over £6000 in savings- does available overdraft count as savings too? or just student loans?

Thanks!

More
8 years 9 months ago #137809 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic University and ESA

Ellie wrote: Thanks Gordon. I don't think I've asked this question before so it might have been an answer to someone else?

I've just read that they deduct £1 for every £250 over £6000 in savings- does available overdraft count as savings too? or just student loans?

Thanks!

See your previous post :)

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...=10&id=104510#136307

Your overdraft does not count as savings, but any money that you take from it would.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #137828 by annie-rose
Replied by annie-rose on topic University and ESA
Wow, how embarrassing!! sorry! worryingly I have no recollection of having written that post- I look after someone with Dementia all day, I wonder if it's affecting my memory!

I'm really worried about starting back at University in case I have to withdraw (again but for the final time) and because of the effect on benefits etc.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.