× Members

ESA and starting a business possibiliy

More
8 years 9 months ago #137804 by elizabethr
ESA and starting a business possibiliy was created by elizabethr
Hi I am in the Support Group of ESA . I have crohns, ME/CFS, fibromyalgia and heart disease.

I desperately want to do something purposeful and within my limitations of my conditions. I am considering starting my own business designing and making hats but only very limited in output.

I am thinking there are two ways of doing this. Could you tell me if my thinking is right or not.

I would be looking at start up grants (around £60 a week) as it may take a while to get the business going so one question is could that come under permitted work and I could stay on ESA. until such time as I was earning more.

If I had to come off ESA I think I am eligible for the 16 hour rule on working tax credit due to my disabilities.

I am not even sure how I would fair even doing some work from home. I am 61 and draw my state pension at 66.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137814 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and starting a business possibiliy
Elizabeth

There is a guide to Permitted Work in the ESA section

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

I'm afraid we do not advise on Tax Credits, but you would need to close your ESA claim to qualify. ESA does not allow you to work the 16 or more hours a week that Tax Credits require as a minimum.

If you close your ESA claim then you can make a rapid re-claim with 12 weeks, if you need to claim ESA again after the 12 weeks have elapsed then it will be treated as a new claim, if your current claim is Contribution Based then you would also be required to re-meet the Contribution Conditions.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.