× Members

PIP QUESTION CONFUSION

More
8 years 9 months ago #137840 by ali121
PIP QUESTION CONFUSION was created by ali121
Hi,

I'm finding it difficult to understand the "do you need help form another person" questions on the pip form.

For example: Q6: Do you need help from another person to wash and bathe?
Now i know that means "help you need but don’t get"

However the claimant does need help and does get help so what information would i need to provide? and also do you still get points if the claimant needs helps and gets help ?

Thanks in advance.

Ali

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #137851 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP QUESTION CONFUSION
Ali

I think, at least in part, your problem stems from the phrase

help you need but don’t get

It would be better phrased as

help you require whether you receive it or not

The issue is not whether the person is receiving help, but whether they require it, so you need to explain why the person cannot carry out a task reliably without assistance and then explain the sort of assistance that would allow them to overcome this.

There are a couple of aspects to this, can the person carry out the task at all or can they do it but only unreliably for the majority of days.

Some examples; perhaps a person cannot Communicate at all with another person because they are deaf and do not understand sign language, or they are able to wash and dress, but due to their OCD they are unable to do so reliably and for the majority of days because of the time it takes them to do so.

Secondly, any prompting or assistance must be required, This relates to the point above, you must clearly distinguish between assistance that is required because the person cannot complete the task reliably, etc. without it, from assistance that makes it easier for the person to complete the task, but is not required for them to do so reliably.

For example; a person may not be able to manage their Toilet Needs because they cannot clean themselves afterwards and require the assistance of someone to do this for them versus a person with restricted eye sight who can read if required but finds it easier to have a person read to them.

Requiring assistance will score points, it being easier to have assistance will not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: canttrusthesystem, denby

More
8 years 9 months ago #137854 by canttrusthesystem
Replied by canttrusthesystem on topic PIP QUESTION CONFUSION
Hi Gordon and Ali,
Apologies for butting in, but this is a part of some of the questions that worries me too, as I don't have access to help for some of the things I need help for. Are you saying then, if you need assistance, but don't actually HAVE the help, but nevertheless have to manage to struggle on somehow (because this is real life and all that), slowly, unreliably, in pain, in fits and starts, and it all takes hours etc., and you may have to put things off, or sometimes not manage to do them at all, that you may not any score points?

Thank you.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137855 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP QUESTION CONFUSION

canttrusthesystem wrote: Hi Gordon and Ali,
Apologies for butting in, but this is a part of some of the questions that worries me too, as I don't have access to help for some of the things I need help for. Are you saying then, if you need assistance, but don't actually HAVE the help, but nevertheless have to manage to struggle on somehow (because this is real life and all that), slowly, unreliably, in pain, in fits and starts, and it all takes hours etc., and you may have to put things off, or sometimes not manage to do them at all, that you may not any score points?

Thank you.

No I'm not saying that, but if you can "perform" a task on your own, you must explain the circumstances under which this happens.

The key point in my previous post is that tasks must be performed reliably and for the majority of days for the DWP not to score you points, so if you cannot reliably do a task for the majority of days because you can't do it;

• Safely – in a fashion that is unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person.
• To a necessary and appropriate standard – given the nature of the activity.
• Repeatedly – as often as is reasonably required.
• In a timely manner – in a reasonable time period.

then you should score points even though you have done this on your own.

It may be tempting to try and circumvent the requirements of a Descriptor, a good example of this would be for Preparing Food where a claimant might say that they only use pre-prepared meals, but this in itself will not score points, you still need to show that the pre-prepared meals are a solution to a problem (i.e. you are unable to reliably prepare and cook a simple meal for the majority of days). You must explain the underlying problem and make it clear that it is not a convenience that allows you avoid having to prepare and cook a simple meal.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Gordon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canttrusthesystem, denby

More
8 years 9 months ago #137882 by canttrusthesystem
Replied by canttrusthesystem on topic PIP QUESTION CONFUSION
Thanks Gordon, that's clearer to me. I do understand about spelling it all out to them - from the guides, which have been very helpful to me over the years, but I've not had to do a PIP form yet, (am still on DLA) and have started to try and prepare, and it's not always clear on these forms what bits you have to spell out, without danger of it turning to waffle (for me anyway :( ) - my brain gets quite tied up in knots - the fear and stress of it all doesn't help anyone, as we all know.

Cheers.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137883 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP QUESTION CONFUSION

canttrusthesystem wrote: Thanks Gordon, that's clearer to me. I do understand about spelling it all out to them - from the guides, which have been very helpful to me over the years, but I've not had to do a PIP form yet, (am still on DLA) and have started to try and prepare, and it's not always clear on these forms what bits you have to spell out, without danger of it turning to waffle (for me anyway :( ) - my brain gets quite tied up in knots - the fear and stress of it all doesn't help anyone, as we all know.

Cheers.

Hi ctts,

You could make a start now, to put yourself "ahead of the game" by using the Specimen PIP 2 Form as suggested : Here.

To reiterate, it is the PIP 2 Form that you will eventually receive through the post which MUST be returned, for the reasons given.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.