× Members

ESA OR INCOME SUPPORT

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137995 by buzz
ESA OR INCOME SUPPORT was created by buzz
Hi
i`m new to this so I`m hoping someone will be able to keep me right. I am about to claim ESA.
I am in receipt of Disability living allowance and my wife is my carer. A friend has advised me that my wife as my carer should claim income support . I thought income support was being done away with so not sure how to proceed.
Also do i need a fitness certificate from my GP as i haven`t worked for for a few years before claiming ESA
Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #137997 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic ESA OR INCOME SUPPORT

buzz wrote: Hi
i`m new to this so I`m hoping someone will be able to keep me right. I am about to claim ESA.
I am in receipt of Disability living allowance and my wife is my carer. A friend has advised me that my wife as my carer should claim income support . I thought income support was being done away with so not sure how to proceed.
Also do i need a fitness certificate from my GP as i haven`t worked for for a few years before claiming ESA
Thanks

Hi b,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

Before we go any further, can you confirm that presently your only Household Income is DLA for you (If so which Components, e.g. Mobility and/or Care, and at what rates, e.g. Lower, Middle or Higher ?) and Carers Allowance for your wife.

If so, have you been in receipt of any other benefits in recent years ?

bro58

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138009 by bro58
Hi b,

Can't really offer much advice with the very little information that you have provided.

Yes, it is possible for someone receiving : Carers Allowance (CA) to claim Income Support, (IS) although IS is one of the benefits that will eventually come under Universal Credit.

It is also possible that you could make a claim for : ESA.

If you had the necessary NI Contributions from employment , which from your brief comments does not seem likely, you would be paid Contribution Based (CB) ESA, although that being the case it would be offset £ for £ against any IS that your wife may be claiming.

If you don't have the requisite number of NI Contribution for CB ESA, you may be entitled to Income Related (IR) ESA.

This being the case, you would have to claim IR ESA as a couple, your wife's CA would be offset against your IR ESA entitlement £ for £, and she would not be able to claim IS, although you may be entitled to The Carer Premium (CP) paid as an IR ESA top-up for her providing care for you.

Yes, you would need a fit note from your G.P. to make an ESA claim.

As you can see, it is not at all a straightforward issue, and you really need a full "Benefits Check" with The CAB, DIAL, Age UK or the like to see which options are best for you :

Where to get advice

Using these : Benefits Calculators. may give you a better idea.

More information on ESA can be found in our : ESA Claims Guides

And our : ESA FAQ’s

Regarding your DLA, are you aware of : THIS ?

See also : PIP Self Test

&

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

bro58

More
8 years 9 months ago #138155 by buzz
Replied by buzz on topic ESA OR INCOME SUPPORT
HI,
I am on DLA , my wife is my carer, and gets carers allowance. I have done a couple of online benefit checks. One recommends I apply for Income Support and the other ESA . I have read that my wife as my carer can apply for Income Support. Based on the results theres little between the two but the Income Support route seems more straightforward. Is there anything I am missing? Does this make sense?
Thanks

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138160 by bro58
Hi b,

I have merged your post with your previous topic for continuity.

As previously advised ideally you need face to face advice where they will have access to all your personal and financial details in front of them.

It is not possible for us to advise you what may be best for you as we cannot possibly have access to the above on a publicly viewed forum.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.