× Members

Carers and Income Support - Letter of Complience

• AgoraphobicBubble
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #138068 by AgoraphobicBubble
Carers and Income Support - Letter of Complience was created by AgoraphobicBubble
Hi everyone

My mother (and carer) has just had a letter of complience from the Job Centre/DWP and they are reuqesting an interview with her, at first it spooked us so we worked out what it could be and came to the conclusion it maybe an overpayment because Mum came off Carer's Allowance in November as she took up a part time job instead, as she thought once the Carers Allowance stopped the Income Support would stop as well, she only gets a bank statement every six months where she probably should have checked more often. She works 12 hours per week however there have been a few overtimes in that and she has been given an increase in hours to 16 hours. So its a genuine mistake on her part, she will pay whatever they ask back on the day of the interview.

If she offers to pay on the day of the interview would that be the end of the matter? As its not an IUC (Interview Under Caution) I'm having a bit of a breakdown over it because I think its partially my fault.

Paul.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138071 by Gordon
Paul

The interview will be done by a Compliance Officer, they will need to present the results of their investigations to a Decision Maker who will then decide how to deal with the situation and whether there has been an over payment, they may also decide to apply a Civil Penalty for failing to notify the Income Support unit that the CA had been stopped.

Your mother is entitled to have someone with her at the interview.

It is difficult to offer further advice other than the obvious, be truthful and open at the interview.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• AgoraphobicBubble
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #138073 by AgoraphobicBubble
Replied by AgoraphobicBubble on topic Carers and Income Support - Letter of Complience
Thank you Gordon.

Do you have any idea on how long a decision would take? She's willing to come off IS too if she has to.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138074 by Gordon

Paul wrote: Thank you Gordon.

Do you have any idea on how long a decision would take? She's willing to come off IS too if she has to.

Not really but I would guess 2-4 weeks, they may be able to give her an idea at the interview/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• AgoraphobicBubble
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #138075 by AgoraphobicBubble
Replied by AgoraphobicBubble on topic Carers and Income Support - Letter of Complience
I see. Thanks for your help.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.