× Members

Carers allowance Stopped

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138083 by jimmyr
Carers allowance Stopped was created by jimmyr
I am On DLA and when awarded this in 2013 i was also awarded carers allowance, my son is my carer and see's me everyy day, he is working but no matter what time he finishes he is here to sort out my needs and care, if he is on lates then he is here before work to sort out my care, this is everyday.
In order for me to get my awards i had to go through the displeasure of going to a tribunal, i was awarded DLA at the Higher rate and carers at lower.
Today i got my Post office cusomer statement and noticed that my money was down over £100 since begining of march so i phoned DWP and was informed that i was no longer getting carers allowance award.
I am so worried as to what will happen next, will i automaticly lose my DLA and be left with nothing, will i lose my Housing benefit, My ESA as well.
I Have a bad brain lol, i find it so so hard to remember things, even when i write them down, i have had three strokes that have left me with a stick, three Heart attacks, Asthma, Diebeties, and right now feel like nothing to go on for.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138089 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Carers allowance Stopped
Hi Jimmy and Welcome to Benefits and Work

Obviously I cannot say for sure why your carer's allowance has been stopped. However, you have spoken about your son caring for you but you have not told us about your caring duties (if you have any). Carer's allowance is paid to the person who gives the care, not the one who receives it.

It seems unlikely that your son would be able to claim in his own right as it is not payable if the carer earns more than aprox £105 per week net.

Carer's allowance

If I have misunderstood your situation, please reply to this message and we will do our best to help. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by slugsta.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138106 by jimmyr
Replied by jimmyr on topic Carers allowance Stopped
Hello and thank you for your responce Mrs Hurtyback, when i was first refused DLA i wa advised to appeal against the decision, which was based on the home visit from ATOS, who succeeded in "Being my Freind" who in fact lied in his report as to what actually happened at this meeting, also at the time i was on 35 pills a day with lots of side effects so everything was very confusing.
Also my doctor told lies concerning my condition, He had told Atos that i was suffering from Backpain only, yet i have never complained of such a condition, i only found this out because i was put in the WRAG group and the advisor turned the computer round to show me what the doctor had said. i said to her have you ever known somebody to be on all these pills for just a backache, She then appologiesed and said "Dont worry Mr ????, we will not be asking you to come back, but we will be asking your doctor to come and see us" that was almost three years ago now and i have never been contacted by jobcenter since.
I have Unstaible Angina, I have uncontrolled Type 2 diabeties, i have had three strokes of which they can find no cause, three heart attacks, high BP, Asthma and depression, and on medication for the lot, I wish i did only have back pain.

When i went to the DLA tribunal i was awarded High rate DLA and Middle care allowance, i never asked for any care allowance but that was awarded because of the help i got from my son, and still get, he never applied for anything.

I have just found my "Evidence of entitlement to Disabilityy Living allowance" and it says.
We can confirm that the Lowest rate of Disability living allowance for personal care has been awarded from 2012-1017, so what i am looking at is it would seem, nothing to do with a carers allowance, i therefore never even new about receiving any carers allowance as son has never applied for it.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138117 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Carers allowance Stopped

jimmyr wrote: Hello and thank you for your responce Mrs Hurtyback, when i was first refused DLA i wa advised to appeal against the decision, which was based on the home visit from ATOS, who succeeded in "Being my Freind" who in fact lied in his report as to what actually happened at this meeting, also at the time i was on 35 pills a day with lots of side effects so everything was very confusing.
Also my doctor told lies concerning my condition, He had told Atos that i was suffering from Backpain only, yet i have never complained of such a condition, i only found this out because i was put in the WRAG group and the advisor turned the computer round to show me what the doctor had said. i said to her have you ever known somebody to be on all these pills for just a backache, She then appologiesed and said "Dont worry Mr ????, we will not be asking you to come back, but we will be asking your doctor to come and see us" that was almost three years ago now and i have never been contacted by jobcenter since.
I have Unstaible Angina, I have uncontrolled Type 2 diabeties, i have had three strokes of which they can find no cause, three heart attacks, high BP, Asthma and depression, and on medication for the lot, I wish i did only have back pain.

When i went to the DLA tribunal i was awarded High rate DLA and Middle care allowance, i never asked for any care allowance but that was awarded because of the help i got from my son, and still get, he never applied for anything.

I have just found my "Evidence of entitlement to Disabilityy Living allowance" and it says.
We can confirm that the Lowest rate of Disability living allowance for personal care has been awarded from 2012-1017, so what i am looking at is it would seem, nothing to do with a carers allowance, i therefore never even new about receiving any carers allowance as son has never applied for it.

Hi jr,

"When i went to the DLA tribunal i was awarded High rate DLA and Middle care allowance, i never asked for any care allowance but that was awarded because of the help i got from my son, and still get, he never applied for anything."

Either, you are somewhat confused, or there has been some form of error.

Carer's Allowance. (CA) is awarded to someone else (other than the DLA recipient) who provides the minimum 35 hours/week care for the recipient of the Middle or Higher Rate Care of DLA or a Daily Living PIP Award, and fulfils the other criteria to receive CA.

CA is not simply "given" it has to be applied for by the person providing the care.

See also : Carer's UK (CA)

" We can confirm that the Lowest rate of Disability living allowance for personal care has been awarded from 2012-1017, so what i am looking at is it would seem, nothing to do with a carers allowance, i therefore never even new about receiving any carers allowance as son has never applied for it."

Lower Rate Care of DLA does not entitle someone else to receive CA for providing care for the LR Care DLA recipient.

CA is paid to the care giver, not the recipient of the care.

If this was the decision before The Tribunal's Decision, the Tribunal's decision would supercede/ re-make that decision.

Therefore, The Tribunal's HR Care decision would be backdated to the time/date of the original adverse LR Care decision that you appealed, and someone could therefore claim CA from that date.

bro58

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138121 by jimmyr
Replied by jimmyr on topic Carers allowance Stopped
Thank you, yes i was confusing being awarded Personal care allowance with actuall "Carers allowance".
So they have stopped the "carers allowance" they say i was getting because in fact should not have been getting it at all, because nobody had applied for it, then surely this is a mistake by DWP themselves, i do hope that they dont attempt to retrieve it now, they stopped it around five months ago without ever mentioning of wanting it back.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago #138126 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Carers allowance Stopped

jimmyr wrote: Thank you, yes i was confusing being awarded Personal care allowance with actuall "Carers allowance".
So they have stopped the "carers allowance" they say i was getting because in fact should not have been getting it at all, because nobody had applied for it, then surely this is a mistake by DWP themselves, i do hope that they dont attempt to retrieve it now, they stopped it around five months ago without ever mentioning of wanting it back.

Hi jr,

If it is apparent that the award of CA was down to an "official error" i.e. through no fault of your own, the "likelyhood" is that they will not try to recover any overpayment as a result of it.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.