× Members

Small Business

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138172 by Jessica23
Small Business was created by Jessica23
Hi, I have a slightly complicated question.

I am have been in receipt of ESA in the Support Group, after being transferred from IB after my last assessment. I recently returned an assessment form as it is just over two years since I was put in the Support Group and it was time for review.

I will be having a doctor assess me on a home visit in a few weeks.

My health condition is slightly worse than it was two years ago. I have requested audio recording of the interview.

One thing that has changed is that I have self published a book (which took me 14 years to complete!). I have set up a sole trader business bank account and I believe I will need to register for tax purposes as a small business. Other than administration and occasional talks or internet interviews I may give about the book, it doesn't require me to do much now that I have finally completed it.

I wonder if you can advise me on the following questions:
What threshold of royalties I would need to declare for benefits? Obviously I can accrue royalties from internet sales without me actually spending 'time at work'. I assume that my tax would be assessed on the basis of my aggregate income of benefits and royalties together.
What the situation is with regard to my NI contributions?
Should I disclose this to the examining doctor when they see me?
Any other important information I should know about what I need to declare to the DTI or DWP in regard to registering this business?

I am most grateful for any advice you can give me on this.

Thankyou, Jessica23
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138189 by
Replied by on topic Small Business

Jessica23 wrote: Hi, I have a slightly complicated question.

I am have been in receipt of ESA in the Support Group, after being transferred from IB after my last assessment. I recently returned an assessment form as it is just over two years since I was put in the Support Group and it was time for review.

I will be having a doctor assess me on a home visit in a few weeks.

My health condition is slightly worse than it was two years ago. I have requested audio recording of the interview.

One thing that has changed is that I have self published a book (which took me 14 years to complete!). I have set up a sole trader business bank account and I believe I will need to register for tax purposes as a small business. Other than administration and occasional talks or internet interviews I may give about the book, it doesn't require me to do much now that I have finally completed it.

I wonder if you can advise me on the following questions:
What threshold of royalties I would need to declare for benefits? Obviously I can accrue royalties from internet sales without me actually spending 'time at work'. I assume that my tax would be assessed on the basis of my aggregate income of benefits and royalties together.
What the situation is with regard to my NI contributions?
Should I disclose this to the examining doctor when they see me?
Any other important information I should know about what I need to declare to the DTI or DWP in regard to registering this business?

I am most grateful for any advice you can give me on this.

Thankyou, Jessica23

Hi J23,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

ESA is an "out of work" benefit !!

The only remunerative work that you can do is "Permitted Work" , this must be agreed with The DWP prior to doing the work, and only they can decide if any work that you intend to do will be classed as "Permitted Work"

Although the following query was from an Artist, the same applies, see : This Topic.

Please reply to this topic if you have any further queries.

bro58

More
8 years 9 months ago #138231 by Jessica23
Replied by Jessica23 on topic Small Business
Thankyou for your assistanc Bro58.

I have looked at the artist lamawindsurfer's thread which was of some help.

Like that member I treated the writing as a hobby for a very long time, only recently realising it had got to a stage where it might be publishable. And I had not realised that having a book for sale online would amount to 'work'.

I have not at any time exceeded the income allowed or hours involved.

Should I then declare this in writing before I have my medical?

Thankyou for your assistance.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138249 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Small Business
Jessica

As you have set up a business bank account and are intending to register with HMRC then you have no choice in the matter, HMRC and the DWP share data so the matter will undoubtedly come to the attention of the DWP, therefore putting your current ESA claim at risk.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago #138275 by Jessica23
Replied by Jessica23 on topic Small Business
Thanks Gordon,

Anticipating your reply I have prepared a draft letter to send.

Regards,

Jessica23

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.