× Members

Severe disability premium

More
8 years 9 months ago #138203 by irenemohan
Severe disability premium was created by irenemohan
Is severe disability premium means tested? I help an elderly man in receipt of AA but he does not know if he should apply for severe disability premium as he has more than £6000 in savings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138205 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe disability premium

Irene wrote: Is severe disability premium means tested? I help an elderly man in receipt of AA but he does not know if he should apply for severe disability premium as he has more than £6000 in savings.

It's not so much that SDP is means tested, it can only be paid in conjunction with an Income Related (means tested) benefit such as ESA(IR) or Pension Credit. So their household income, assets and savings and any hours that a partner works are relevant.

If no IR benefit is in payment then the SDP cannot be paid whether the claimant meets the criteria or not.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138208 by irenemohan
Replied by irenemohan on topic Severe disability premium
Thank you for getting back to me but severe disability premium is paid to all on Attendance Allowance who live alone and do not have anyone receiving carer's allowance for them. Perhaps I confused you with my query which is basically should the individual now receiving attendance allowance apply for sdp if it is means tested?
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138209 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Severe disability premium

Irene wrote: Thank you for getting back to me but severe disability premium is paid to all on Attendance Allowance who live alone and do not have anyone receiving carer's allowance for them. Perhaps I confused you with my query which is basically should the individual now receiving attendance allowance apply for sdp if it is means tested?

I'm sorry, but whilst AA does provide eligibility for the Severe Disability Premium, entitlement to payment is only enabled via Pension Credit (in this case), it is not an additional payment on top of AA.

So if the person is not entitled to PC then they will not receive an SDP payment, whether they are entitled or not.

If they are not currently receiving PC then they may be eligible subject to their household income, assets and savings, if they are then the SDP should be added to their PC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138210 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Severe disability premium

Irene wrote: Thank you for getting back to me but severe disability premium is paid to all on Attendance Allowance who live alone and do not have anyone receiving carer's allowance for them. Perhaps I confused you with my query which is basically should the individual now receiving attendance allowance apply for sdp if it is means tested?

Hi I,

The SDP is not paid to all AA recipients.

Being in receipt of AA, whilst also being classed as living alone with no one receiving CA for providing care for you gives you potential "entitlement" to The SDP.

To receive "payment" of The SDP, one must also pass the means test with respect to capital, assets, savings, household income, etc etc, as The SDP can only be paid as an Income Related "benefit" or Pension Credit.

Therefore, they will need to fill in a financial assessment form to see whether they can pass the means test for payment of The SDP.

They should contact The DWP and request that they send him a financial assessment form to assess his entitlement to payment of The SDP.

I hope that makes it somewhat clearer.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138212 by irenemohan
Replied by irenemohan on topic Severe disability premium
Thank you Gordon I believe I understand this now - this gentleman is in receipt of pension credit and AA but if he applies for sdp he will not get it as he has over £6000 in savings. Have I got it right finally??

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.