× Members

ESA with SDP/ daughter off to uni

• bhav
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #138224 by bhav
ESA with SDP/ daughter off to uni was created by bhav
Advice please!! I am in receipt of high rate mobility / middle rate care DLA and support group ESA with severe disability premium. I'm confused about what will happen when my 18 yr old daughter goes off to uni in Sept. She has had confirmation of her loans, for tuition and maintenance, and also a maintenance grant.. she has been living at home with me till now so obviously she has applied for these using my financial info, and using this address. She will be living at uni though in halls and only coming back to this address to visit me for a percentage of the uni holidays, and probably not very much!. My question is this..is she still going to be classed as 'living' here, because it seems that if she is, then she will now be classed as a non dependent adult and as such I will lose my severe disability premium. Do I have to inform them that she will not actually be living here anymore and when do I do this? On the benefit checker website I didn't know what to put in the box for any non-dependants living in the home..does she or doesn't she? Thankyou in advance! Oh..there is no one else living here and no one gets carers allowance for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138247 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA with SDP/ daughter off to uni
Bhav

I believe that your daughter would still be considered a dependant while she is under 20 and is enrolled in full time education, being a dependant she would not affect your Severe Disability Premium.

However, there are discrepancies between the ESA legislation and the Decision Makers guide on this subject which would suggest that other legislation is applicable and so I cannot state for definite that the above is the case.

Given that a recoverable over payment would result from the wrong advice, I am going to recommend that you get face to face advice from a trained advisor, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: bhav

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.