× Members

Representation at PIP tribunal

• Marky
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #138290 by Marky
Representation at PIP tribunal was created by Marky
Hello

I have been in touch with my local CAB who advised me to request a mandatory reconsideration. I did this and the DWP replied informing me that their decision would not be changed

My partner got back in touch and the CAB sent me an appeal form and said they would be in touch to guide me through the form

They haven't been in touch as yet, I'm concerned with the contacting by phone as I can't use the phone due severe mental illness

I really need to know if the CAB still represents people at tribunals, the general response from other people is no

I won't be able to handle this appeal un represented

I'm panicking thinking I will be left to fend for myself with only my partner speaking up for me

Could someone advise me on the matter, will the CAB be able to represent me?

All the best

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138310 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Representation at PIP tribunal
Marky

The CAB do still represent claimants at First Tier Tribunals but only rarely as they are no longer funded by Legal Aid.

At the risk of putting you off of the appeal process entirely, even with a Representative, the panel will direct the vast majority of their questions at you if you opt for an Oral hearing that you attend, so you need to be prepared for this.

Instead of an Oral hearing you can request a Paper one, where a Decision is made purely from the papers you submit in regard the appeal. The downside is that the success rate for Paper hearing is significantly lower than for Oral ones, the Tribunal panel being able to hear the claimant describe their day to day problems, can really make a big difference to the Decision they reach.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.