× Members

HOUSING BENEFIT

• Gordon Smith
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138481 by Gordon Smith
HOUSING BENEFIT was created by Gordon Smith
I am currently being hit by the bedroom tax. I've been turned down for P.I.P. , which I will take to tribunal. I have been paying the spare room subsidy whilst claiming DLA but am now worried if I can now afford the bedroom tax
I remember talk of a fund to help people pay the spare room subsidy at the time it was introduced. Can anyone help me access this fund .

Gordon
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138484 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic HOUSING BENEFIT
Hi,

Welcome to Benefits and Work :)

If your forum name is also your real name, you may wish to change it to maintain some anonymity.

This can be done quite easily by following the instructions on this FAQ :

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

We do not advise on HB issues, however the "fund" that you speak of is called Discretionary Housing Payments. (DHP's)

You need to make an application to your Council/LA for DHP's and it will involve you filling in a form and providing them will all your income/expenditure details.

Your LA has full discretion on whether to allow DHP's or not, and if they refuse, you cannot appeal that decision to HMCTS as with other "benefit" decisions.

The LA should have it's own internal appeals procedure if you need it.

You should be able to find more details regarding HB and DHP's on your Council's/LA's Website.

They may even have applications forms that you can download from their site.

Failing that, you need to ring your Council's HB Department.

If you are a tenant with a Housing Association, some of them have Welfare Rights Advisers who may be able to help with your DHP application.

More on DHP's from the links below :

england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/housin...ary_housing_payments

www.gov.uk/government/publications/claim...ary-housing-payments

www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Discre...nary-Housing-Payment

With regards to your PIP, which we can help with, have a look at the following, then reply to this topic if you have any further PIP queries.

PIP MR/Appeals Guidance.

Mandatory Reconsiderations Explained

Disability Rights UK Factsheet - Appeals and Mandatory Reconsiderations.

PIP Claims Guide. (2nd Link on page)

PIP Self Test

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.