× Members

Pip Assesment

• Renegadeshania
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #138551 by Renegadeshania
Pip Assesment was created by Renegadeshania
Hi All

I have my atos appointment on wednesday and are a bit worried :( i suffer from anxiety , depression and are affraid to go out on my own . I have to have my patner with me at all times if we go out, also in stressfull situations like wrag interviews or dwp meetings i'm unable to speak with people i dont know... I try to speak but nothing comes out at all and my partner has to speak for me or i have to write it down. I have had the speech therapist out to me and she has diagnosed me with speech dysfluency and said i have blocking which she thinks was caused by a stressful incident in my past.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #138571 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip Assesment

Renegadeshania wrote: Hi All

I have my atos appointment on wednesday and are a bit worried :( i suffer from anxiety , depression and are affraid to go out on my own . I have to have my patner with me at all times if we go out, also in stressfull situations like wrag interviews or dwp meetings i'm unable to speak with people i dont know... I try to speak but nothing comes out at all and my partner has to speak for me or i have to write it down. I have had the speech therapist out to me and she has diagnosed me with speech dysfluency and said i have blocking which she thinks was caused by a stressful incident in my past.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Prepare a note for the assessor explaining your problems, that way if you are affected as soon as you walk in you can hand them the note to explain.

The PIP Claim guide has a list of the questions you are likely to be asked so you could go through these with your partner so that they have a good understanding of how you might reply if they need to clarify anything during the assessment.

Good luck

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Renegadeshania

• Renegadeshania
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago #140329 by Renegadeshania
Replied by Renegadeshania on topic Pip Assesment
Had my pip assessment and Scored 6 points for daily living and 0 for mobility :( I couldn't physically speak because of my stress and anxiety and my partner had to speak for me ,as my speech blocking prevented me from uttering anything at all. The HCP never asked me about planning a journey or about engageing with other people face to face which is impossible for me as I can't physically speak in these situations , also my partner has to help me bend dress myself and wash below the waste as I get extremely breathless doing this , but no mention of this in the dm's conclusion. Also I can't cook a meal as I forget that I have left things on the cooker and wander off to do something else so my partner has to supervise all the time or do it for me , she even told the assessor this ! Have been to CAB and they have sent off my MR letter roughly 20 days ago still not heard anything yet . any advise on why the HCP didn't take notice of my partner ?

I got the points for Communicating Verbally 4

Engaging with other People Face to Face 2 Saying I had to be prompted by another person to engage with other people

More
8 years 7 months ago #140331 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Pip Assesment
Renegadeshania

I'm sorry to hear that your claim was unsuccessful.

You have two options going forward;

- you can make a new claim for PIP and/or
- you can challenge the Decision

The first stage to challenging a Decision is for you to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, this needs to be done in writing to the DWP, within one month of the Decision, to the office that dealt with your claim, have a look at our PIP MR & Appeal guide for details of the process and template letters that you can use to make the request with.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

You should contact the DWP for a copy of the assessment report if you have not already done so, I would phone them but again follow up the request in writing. Once you have the assessment report you will have a better understanding of how the DWP Decision Maker has come to their conclusions and will then be able to argue against them.

Your primary task is to show that you meet the criteria, there are many reasons you may have failed, you need to address each of these but don't get bogged down in criticising the assessment report unless you can clearly show that it is incorrect, it is a lot easier to argue the facts of the situation;

"the assessor recorded that I walked 50m, I did but they have failed to document that I had to stop every 10m for a rest due to breathlessness"

than their opinions

"based on my observations of the claimant walking I believe that they can reliably walk more than 200m.

When you have a better idea of the issues with your claim, come back to the forum and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Renegadeshania

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.