× Members

Carer's Credit and ESA

• Minnime63
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #138580 by Minnime63
Carer's Credit and ESA was created by Minnime63
I am so cross, I just need to vent! I have received carer's allowance for about 7 years to help with looking after my autistic son. Because of this, I have not been able to earn above £100 a week. Last March, I became seriously ill myself and have not worked since. I applied ESA but was told I hadn't paid enough contributions to qualify, so we have really struggled on just my partner's wages. I've only just today found out about Carer's credit! Why didn't ESA tell me when I explained why I wasn't earning more (ie receiving Carer's Allowance)? Grrr!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #138585 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Carer's Credit and ESA

Minnime63 wrote: I am so cross, I just need to vent! I have received carer's allowance for about 7 years to help with looking after my autistic son. Because of this, I have not been able to earn above £100 a week. Last March, I became seriously ill myself and have not worked since. I applied ESA but was told I hadn't paid enough contributions to qualify, so we have really struggled on just my partner's wages. I've only just today found out about Carer's credit! Why didn't ESA tell me when I explained why I wasn't earning more (ie receiving Carer's Allowance)? Grrr!

You should check with them again, if you were receiving Carers Allowance then Regulation 8(2)(a) of the ESA Regulations 2008 should apply

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2008/794/regulation/8/made

Relaxation of the first contribution condition

8.—(1) A claimant who satisfies any of the conditions in paragraph (2) is to be taken to satisfy the first contribution condition if—

(a) the claimant paid Class 1 or Class 2 contributions before the relevant benefit week in respect of any one tax year; and

(b) the earnings factor is derived—

(i) from earnings, on which primary Class 1 contributions have been paid or treated as paid, which are not less than that year’s lower earnings limit multiplied by 25; or
(ii) from Class 2 contributions multiplied by 25.2) The conditions referred to in paragraph (1) are that the claimant—

(2) The conditions referred to in paragraph (1) are that the claimant—

(a) was entitled to a carer’s allowance in the last complete tax year immediately preceding the relevant benefit year;

You will need to have paid sufficient NI Contributions in a previous Tax Year but it does not have to be one of the two immediately preceding your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Gordon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.