× Members

What work can I do on ESA (SG) ? I'm confused !

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #138756 by plankgirl
Hi all, I hope you are having the best day possibe.
I wonder if anyone can help clarify something for me.........first, a bit of background - I am on ESA support group as three years ago I became too ill to continue in my career. I was devasted to leave a job I loved so much, but gradually I am coming to terms with it. Initially I tried to set up as a photographer, and was quite busy....alas my illness meant I could not sustain this and I began to let people down ( something I hate doing!). That is when I reluctantly claimed for benefits.
I am now in a better place mentally and am starting to accept and manage my symptoms a bit better. I was bought a proofreading course for my birthday and have really enjoyed it. I am also seeing the loss of my 'old' life as an opportunity to write ( I've always dreamed of writing a bestselling crime novel).
My question is what I am 'allowed' to do whilst in SG. My understanding is that I can earn up to about £100 per week without it affecting my benefits. I want to look at starting a proof reading / editing business ( until my best seller comes good anyway! Ha ha ha!). I am unlikely to be able to do more than 3 hours a week , I want to 'try out' doing this by taking unpaid work initially, until I am sure I can do it and not let people down. I do not envisage earning much, if and when I 'go live', certainly not enough to live on.
So, what should I do? I have had conflicting advice regarding what I can do and when / if / how much I need to tell the DWP.
Hope this makes sense, and that someone out there can clarify the issue of trying to work when in SG. Thanks in advance : )
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #138763 by slugsta
Hi pg and Welcome to Benefits and Work

The important thing to note is that any 'permitted work' must be agreed by a DWP decision maker before you start. The rules are open to a great degree of interpretation by the DM so it is not possible to say exactly what would, or would not, be acceptable.

Permitted Work

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: plankgirl

More
8 years 8 months ago #138767 by Gordon
plankgirl

Just to add to the advice already given.

You need to be careful about doing work for free where it would be reasonable to normally expect payment, this may still be counted as being in remunerative work in the eyes of a Decision Maker, if in doubt, check with the DWP first.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: plankgirl, slugsta

More
8 years 8 months ago #138805 by Iamawindsurfer
Replied by Iamawindsurfer on topic What work can I do on ESA (SG) ? I'm confused !
Hi, my experience recently on another forum has led me down the same path. I am still trying to work things out as like yourself I need to pick up on my professional practice. However the job centre and my advisor are not giving me the advice I need and I am unwilling to press them because of usual reasons. Hope you find a satisfactory route for yourself! Best of luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: plankgirl

More
8 years 8 months ago #139140 by plankgirl
Replied by plankgirl on topic What work can I do on ESA (SG) ? I'm confused !
Thank you , and therein lies my problem - 'open to a great degree of interpretation'.........I wish the DWP would work on being a bit more specific in their rules, but I guess the 'interpretation' means they can change their minds whenever they wish.......

It's such a Catch 22 situation - I so want to get off benefits but have no way of knowing if I can sustain any work and if I can in fact earn anything from writing. It can take a year from submitting to a publisher until a book is on sale....and then of course it has to sell.

I am surprised to learn doing stuff for free is a no no, but I can see the rationale behind that.

In fact, since writing this post I have come to realise that it is all wishful thinking, I really cannot be reliable due to health conditions but who knows, one day..........Thank you for taking the time to respond, I hope you find THE answer Iamwindsurfer ; )
☀️
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.