× Members

prompting

More
8 years 8 months ago #139044 by Vicky Mould
prompting was created by Vicky Mould
Hi,

I just wondered whether "prompting" is only satisfied if you have a mental health issue or cognitive impairment?

I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration for taking nutrition (and one other descriptor), yet it seems that if I need prompting to eat because my symptoms severly affect my appetite, and I cant repeatedly nourish myself, this doesn't qualify? Please advise.

The assessor stated my digestive symptoms are well controlled and have no functional impact, which is inaccurate, and my consultant letter stated these symptoms are significant. Significant and no functional impact doesn't make sense.

Your input would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #139064 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic prompting

Vicky M wrote: Hi,

I just wondered whether "prompting" is only satisfied if you have a mental health issue or cognitive impairment?

I have asked for a mandatory reconsideration for taking nutrition (and one other descriptor), yet it seems that if I need prompting to eat because my symptoms severly affect my appetite, and I cant repeatedly nourish myself, this doesn't qualify? Please advise.

The assessor stated my digestive symptoms are well controlled and have no functional impact, which is inaccurate, and my consultant letter stated these symptoms are significant. Significant and no functional impact doesn't make sense.

Your input would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Prompting is defined in the PIP legislation as

reminding, encouraging or explaining by another person

It is not specifically linked to mental health or cognitive issues but claimants with these problems are more likely to score points. You might still score points if you can show that there is an impediment to your taking nutrition as needed.

Your post suggests issues related to appetite and I assume hunger, would I be right in thinking that your taking nutrition is somewhat artificial? If being prompted is part of this process then you need to explain how you would be effected if that prompting was not received and how you deal with the issue when there is no one available to prompt you, for example; if you have to "eat" during the day when your partner is at work, how do you manage this?

I'm afraid I don't think that by definition "significant" and "no functional impact" are mutually exclusive, for example someone might have a significant issue with diabetes but it is controlled by their regular Insulin injections and has no specific impact on their life.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #139083 by Vicky Mould
Replied by Vicky Mould on topic prompting
Hi Gordon,

What you have said makes sense. Thank you for giving further advice about explaining it all.

I agree with the last sentence, although my particular symptoms aren't well-controlled with medication. I was clear about this in both my claim form and at the assessment.

The assessor has reported something completely different (e.g. my medications control the symptoms) and he's noted this in the part where my comments should be (so not my words at all).

Many thanks,

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.