× Members

cooking a meal descritor

• tillylil
  • Topic Author
8 years 9 months ago #139419 by tillylil
cooking a meal descritor was created by tillylil
I am really struggling to articulate this to show that I cannot cook a meal from start to finish regardless of a kitchen full of aids and appliances and/or full time supervision. I have quite severe ME/CFS. The best I could do is reheat a meal that some one has cooked for me or make a cold snack and not do this in my worst spells. I have looked at the guides and spent hours over the last two weeks, but am writing so much trying to show how one task takes so much energy that then I can't attempt or complete the next task and need to keep resting in between for any thing I can attempt. I guess I need some help with simple sentences or statements to help write, that whilst I might be able to do something once, I am overwhelmed with physical exhaustion by the cumulative nature of planning, preparing and cooking reliably, repeatedly and safely and this then exacerbates the symptoms of fatigue for hours/days afterwards. By the time I got to the cooking stage I would have no concentration and feel so sick and dizzy to safely cook, transfer hot pans etc. Has any one else with severe ME/CFS written a statement that got them the maximum points in this descriptor? I am aware that if I write too much about the individual tasks I attempt when I am able, that this will be misinterpreted and I might only get 2 points.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 9 months ago #139424 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic cooking a meal descritor
tillylil

The best I can suggest is for you to brake it down into elements, separate the preparation of the meal from the cooking and then for each explain the difficulties you have doing the activity yourself, with an aid and then with supervision.

Even those familiar with ME/CFS often struggle to understand and accept the levels of fatigue that patients suffer from, the assessor may not have any direct experience but should have had training, the Decision Maker is not going to even have this, so you need to explain things in very simple language and don't be afraid to repeat yourself.

Can I raise a note of concern, Preparing and Cooking a meal is just the first of a number of questions and you only have a limited time to complete the form if you have made a claim for PIP. You might want to think about a more structured approach to dealing with the form, perhaps you could provide a basic answer to each question and then refine it further each day.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.