× Members

Advice needed please.

More
8 years 8 months ago #139633 by philologus
Advice needed please. was created by philologus
I'm sure I'm not the first person this has happened to - so I'm asking for advice please.

My daughter has had a disability since birth and has also developed other problems because of it, notably depression, panic attacks, self-harm, suicide attempts and constant suicidal thoughts.

She is now 26 and we started on this road of applying for DLA/PIP when she was about 10.
Every time we applied we were refused and had to go to a tribunal where the doctor on the panel saw her need and granted the benefit. The same has happened with other benefits she has claimed, ESA etc.

My wife and I are now in our 70's and have our own health problems so our daughter moved in with her boyfriend in an attempt to start becoming more independent as she realised that we may not be around to help her for much longer. I have heart failure and my wife has dementia.

She was told that her DLA was coming to its end and that she should apply for PIP.
She cannot handle the stress or understand the forms so I fill in all the forms for her, she then reads and signs them.

I used the good advice in the guides to fill in the PIP form in the hope that she would not be required to attend a medical but failed. She attended a medical and was seen by someone who was an ex-paramedic. (I went in with her.)

We have now got the result - no points! None at all. After 16 years on DLA she is now, suddenly, well enough to care for herself etc?

Her mental state has deteriorated further since getting the refusal and she has constant suicidal thoughts. Her partner works full time and is worried about what he will be coming back to when he gets home from work. She lives about 100 miles from us so we can get there in less than two hours but it is a constant worry.

The PIP refusal means that her income has dropped considerably until we can get through the Mandatory Reconsideration and appeal process - and there are no guarantees that we will win - so she will be struggling to pay her rent and will have to look for somewhere else with a low rent or return to live with us - which is not really an option in the long-term.

Her mental state combined with her physical problems makes her unwilling/unable to help herself and she just stays in bed for most of the time.

I have asked her to write a letter to her GP explaining the situation and asking for help but she cannot motivate herself to do this. I have written a draft letter for her so that she can read it, change it etc. but I know that reading the letter will be very stressful for her and all the reminders of her condition could tip her over the edge so I haven't sent her it yet.

I know that she can apply for a crisis loan, but that is not a solution.
If anyone has any advice I would very much appreciate it.

George.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #139641 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Advice needed please.
A's Dad

I think you are going to be limited while she has authority to act (or not) on her own behalf.

Try contacting MIND (www.mind.org.uk/) they were very helpful when I needed assistance.

You can try writing to the GP directly, I would not expect them to respond to you but it may prompt them to initiate contact with your daughter.

Ditto with Social Services.

If she is still living with the boyfriend, have you spoken to him about the problem and how to move forward?

If any members have any thoughts then please feel free to post.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago #139649 by tedthered64
Replied by tedthered64 on topic Advice needed please.
Hi,
Hopefully her partner who works full time will support her financially and provide her with somewhere to live.
I know that's not ideal but hopefully this will provide some comfort to you're daughter and also you and the wife.
Regards
Ted

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.