× Members

Housing benefit and ESA/ DLA. Advice welcome.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140125 by Shemarie
I have recently moved house and I am feeling confused and panicky about my Housing Benefit.
I receive ESA (SG) and DLA (HR mobility, MR care). My DLA was renewed in May indefinitely, after an initial two year award. Just over two weeks ago, I moved into a much awaited council flat. I had been living in supported housing for the previous four years.
I was awarded DLA and ESA in May 2013, and received back-dated payments, to which I have added money from each benefit payment and kept this aside in anticipation of the eventual house move.
I now have a total of just over £6000 saved to do up, carpet and furnish my new place from scratch.
I am now dealing with the housing benefit forms for my new place and need to provide the council with proof of benefits entitlement and bank statements (my benefits are paid into the Post Office and I transfer most of them to a Santander current account to be able to make internet payments).
My question is this: will the £6000 count as savings, even though it is entirely from my benefits and to pay for all necessary furniture/ carpets/curtains/appliances/utilities etc?
When I lived in supported housing, I was never asked for bank statements when claiming housing benefit- just for my benefits entitlement.
When I got this flat I felt like I was getting on an even keel, but now feel as though the rug is about to be pulled away from under me. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140130 by Gordon
Shemarie

I'm afraid only your Local Authority can decide whether they will class the money as savings or whether it will be disregarded as for essential purchases.

Also, if you receive Income Related ESA in whole or in part then you also need to inform the DWP, they will decide separately how to treat the money..

Your DLA will not be effected.

The cut off amount is £6000 but this includes all of your money including any that is not in your savings account and any assets or cash that you have. It does not matter where your savings originated from but your current payments should be excluded, so for ESA this means that your last payment will be disregarded for two weeks and your DLA for four.

If they decide to treat the money as savings then your HB and any ESA(IR) will be reduced, but they will only be effected by the amount in excess of the £6000 and for the period that you had the excess.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.