× Members

Bank details Change - DLA

More
8 years 8 months ago #140145 by JRW
Bank details Change - DLA was created by JRW
Hi,

My daughter gets DLA and will do until she is 17 in March 2017. At the moment her payments go into the family bank account but we have recently opened an account for her and I am wondering if I could get her money paid into her bank account. I don't want to make any changes to her DLA status until she get called for PIP but this time next year, she will be eligible for Bursary funding if she gets DLA in her own right (I assume this means in her own bank account).

On the other hand, she can't remember her pin number and I manage her bank account for her unofficially. She wouldn't have the capacity to complete the PIP form herself so I am worried because I know DWP will ask that question when they consider her eligibility. Is it best to leave things alone and not ask to change the bank details?

I know that another young person (21) is still receiving DLA so I don't know when DLA will change to PIP in our area - postcode is SG.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140151 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Bank details Change - DLA
JRW

Moving the account only requires you to notify the DWP, ideally in writing.

Whether you should do so is a Decision that only you can make.

When she reaches 16 I would expect her to be re-assessed for PIP, at this time she will be expected to manage her own affairs unless you apply to be her appointee.

It is likely that an assessor will draw conclusions from her having her own account, but you would need to deal with these issues anyway if she is unable to manage money to any degree.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140153 by JRW
Replied by JRW on topic Bank details Change - DLA
Hi Gordon

Is there a form for us to apply to be her appointee? My friend had to do this for her daughter, she did it before the child was 16.

We opened the bank account because she had had a building society account for birthday and christmas money since she was little but it wasn't getting very good interest. Think that's quite normal for parents to do? I think the bank did mention the possibility of us having control over the account when we opened it.

Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by bro58.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140154 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic Bank details Change - DLA

JRW wrote: Hi Gordon

Is there a form for us to apply to be her appointee? My friend had to do this for her daughter, she did it before the child was 16.

We opened the bank account because she had had a building society account for birthday and christmas money since she was little but it wasn't getting very good interest. Think that's quite normal for parents to do? I think the bank did mention the possibility of us having control over the account when we opened it.

Thanks

Hi JRW,

This information is with regards to DWP "Benefits" :

Becoming an Appointee for someone claiming benefits.

This information is with regards to managing their financial affairs, etc :

Enduring power of attorney: acting as an attorney.

bro58
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by bro58.

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.