× Members

Additional benefits with DLA and PIP

More
8 years 8 months ago #140182 by JRW
What other benefits might be available in the following situation:

Daughter on DLA (Middle and Lower) rate until March 2017. I'm waiting for confirmation but Tribunal have awarded me PIP with 10 points for Daily Living and 10 points for Mobility (need someone with me) backdated to June 2013. Husband is a pensioner.

We were receiving Child Tax credits because of Daughter's DLA when I was made redundant in 2011. When I found a job later in 2011 we contacted DWP several times, completed forms they sent us but they still carried on paying us because they said they would sort it out at the end of year. They didn't and we told them again. They then reduced the payments so they could take the overpayment back. Then we got letters saying we owed them two lots of money i.e. over two different tax years 2012 and 2013. We got copies of the correspondence etc and have argued that we met our responsibilities but they keep sending the matter to the debt collectors. Twice the debt collectors have referred the matter back to DWP so we are at stalemate really. I thought they could only claim one lot back at a time for the first year we were overpaid.

My question is: Are there any other benefits that I would be eligible for and do we tell the Child Tax people that I have now been given PIP which would affect the Child Tax allowance all over again? We know that my husband can't get carers allowance as he gets state pension.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago #140185 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Additional benefits with DLA and PIP
JRW

You'd be better getting face to face advice from a trained advisor.

Have you looked at claiming ESA?

If your husband is receiving the State Pension is he eligible for Pension Credit.

Your husband won't be paid for CA but if you are eligible for any Income Related benefit such as ESA(IR), Income Support or Pension Credit then he would receive the Carers Premium.

You can in principle claim CA for your daughter providing your doing so does not conflict with your PIP award, this would also enable a claim for IS if eligible.

We don't deal with Tax Credits on the forum, so I can't really offer advice, it would be worth checking whether an overpayment is recoverable when due to official error, for most Social Security benefits it is not, but it may be for TC's.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: JRW

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.