× Members

PIP f2f despite GP letter

• slegne
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140189 by slegne
PIP f2f despite GP letter was created by slegne
My friend has received a letter to attend a f2f at a medical centre. Her GP had sent a letter to say she couldn't cope with a ftf, if it was absolutely necessary then she would need a home visit. Can this be queried or is that it? I will have extreme difficulty getting her to attend.
Also, if I can get her there, what will happen to the interview if she goes into complete meltdown, which could involve anything from sobbing and wailing to aggressive behaviour if she feels unsafe and threatened in this situation.
Finally, she is moving from DLA to PIP, if PIP is refused does this automatically trigger a review of her ESA. She is in the WRAG group, but a letter with supporting evidence explaining her deteriorating condition since the original assessment was recently sent off to DWP for consideration for the support group, even her work focused interview adviser said she was in the wrong group.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by bro58.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140194 by bro58
Replied by bro58 on topic PIP f2f despite GP letter

slegne wrote: My friend has received a letter to attend a f2f at a medical centre. Her GP had sent a letter to say she couldn't cope with a ftf, if it was absolutely necessary then she would need a home visit. Can this be queried or is that it? I will have extreme difficulty getting her to attend.
Also, if I can get her there, what will happen to the interview if she goes into complete meltdown, which could involve anything from sobbing and wailing to aggressive behaviour if she feels unsafe and threatened in this situation.
Finally, she is moving from DLA to PIP, if PIP is refused does this automatically trigger a review of her ESA. She is in the WRAG group, but a letter with supporting evidence explaining her deteriorating condition since the original assessment was recently sent off to DWP for consideration for the support group, even her work focused interview adviser said she was in the wrong group.

Hi s,

I see from your other topic : Here that the Assessment Provider is ATOS.

They are more reluctant than Capita to provide Home Assessments.

However, they should take into account your friend's limitations/disabilities when deciding whether a Home Assessment is necessary, especially if their G.P. has provided a letter supporting this.

They are duty bound to make Reasonable Adjustments under Sections 20-21 of The Equality Act 2010.

You are allowed to rearrange a face to face once :

www.atoshealthcare.com/pip/PIP_Customer_Charter

If your friend fails to attend a second face to face without "Good Cause" their PIP Claim can be disqualified.

Even though this member was trying to obtain a Home Assessment with Capita, you could pose the same arguments with ATOS, see : This Topic and the links to other topics therein.

Your friend could also contact their M.P. :

Contacting your MP

bro58

• slegne
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #140211 by slegne
Replied by slegne on topic PIP f2f despite GP letter
Many thanks bro58 for your information re f2f assessment. We are going to contact atos for home assessment. However, my friend does not want an assessment at her home, she became quite volatile and emotional at the prospect. Her reasoning is that her home is her 'safe zone' where she has sanctuary with her mental health conditions. She felt it would be an invasion of her safety zone, some stranger coming to make judgments of her and her safe environment, that would trigger and exacerbate her anxieties, low self esteem and past trauma. She asked me is it possible to have a home visit at her carers household, where she does stay sometimes when in crisis and in need of intensive care and support.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago #140212 by bro58

slegne wrote: Many thanks bro58 for your information re f2f assessment. We are going to contact atos for home assessment. However, my friend does not want an assessment at her home, she became quite volatile and emotional at the prospect. Her reasoning is that her home is her 'safe zone' where she has sanctuary with her mental health conditions. She felt it would be an invasion of her safety zone, some stranger coming to make judgments of her and her safe environment, that would trigger and exacerbate her anxieties, low self esteem and past trauma. She asked me is it possible to have a home visit at her carers household, where she does stay sometimes when in crisis and in need of intensive care and support.

Hi s,

You could make that request giving reasons, as a Reasonable Adjustment under EA2010.

Good luck

bro58

• slegne
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #140996 by slegne
Replied by slegne on topic PIP f2f despite GP letter
Many thanks for your advice re home assessment. However, things have become more perplexing. I rang ATOS on 14/09/15 to request a home assessment and to reinforce there had been a gp letter to support this, initially the officer was adamant a f2f was required and they had not received a gp letter,there was need for further evidence. I then brought up the need to take into consideration the claimants limitations and gp's evidence underlining this in respect of a f2f. The officer then said could I get the GP to send the letter again and as her carer could I send a letter to support the need for a home assessment. I informed her that my friends GP was on annual leave until 22/09/15 so there would be a delay. The officer then said she could put in a request to have the claim reviewed, but a f2f at medical centre may still be required. I then put the case under the Equality Act for reasonable adjustments , the duty of care and the danger of personal injury. After a pause the officer then stated that she thought there might be enough evidence on the file to preclude any assessment being required, but for me as the carer to send in a supporting letter. All a bit confusing. Before I could send in a letter the friend I care for received a letter dated 17/09/15 stating she would not any form of consultation at all and that they had been able to complete her assessment report based on the evidence already available. I'm not sure if this is positive or ominous given the contradictions in their responses.

• bro58
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #141003 by bro58

slegne wrote: Many thanks for your advice re home assessment. However, things have become more perplexing. I rang ATOS on 14/09/15 to request a home assessment and to reinforce there had been a gp letter to support this, initially the officer was adamant a f2f was required and they had not received a gp letter,there was need for further evidence. I then brought up the need to take into consideration the claimants limitations and gp's evidence underlining this in respect of a f2f. The officer then said could I get the GP to send the letter again and as her carer could I send a letter to support the need for a home assessment. I informed her that my friends GP was on annual leave until 22/09/15 so there would be a delay. The officer then said she could put in a request to have the claim reviewed, but a f2f at medical centre may still be required. I then put the case under the Equality Act for reasonable adjustments , the duty of care and the danger of personal injury. After a pause the officer then stated that she thought there might be enough evidence on the file to preclude any assessment being required, but for me as the carer to send in a supporting letter. All a bit confusing. Before I could send in a letter the friend I care for received a letter dated 17/09/15 stating she would not any form of consultation at all and that they had been able to complete her assessment report based on the evidence already available. I'm not sure if this is positive or ominous given the contradictions in their responses.

Hi s,

Yes rather confusing but on the face of it now seems that they are to make a paper based assessment.

As with The DWP, ATOS's inter-departmental communication is not the best !!

You could still send your letter of support whilst also citing their letter of the 17/09/15, seeking clarification on how things are to progress.

I see nothing wrong with you attaching your letter to an e-mail, whilst also attaching a copy of their letter of 17/09/15.

Please keep us updated.

bro58

Moderators: bro58GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris