× Members

DLA to PIP Failed assessment

• Dizzylady
  • Topic Author
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #140317 by Dizzylady
DLA to PIP Failed assessment was created by Dizzylady
Hello
I am new to the forum and any help or advice would be gratefully received.
I had been receiving top rate mobility and middle rate care for DLA for 5 years but scored only 2 points in total when I went for my PIP assessment with Atos and that was for wearing hearing aids.
A couple of years ago I won at a tribunal for ESA ( NI conts only) and the judge made a recommendation the DWP left me alone for at least 5 yrs as my condition (Menieres disease) has no cure and is unlikely to ever improve.
I sent a copy of this when I had to make the PIP claim but the assessor said this was not included in the information she was provided with.
It is a very unpredictable condition and when I get the recurrent severe vertigo attacks I can do absolutely nothing. Can't walk, cook, bathe, get to the loo etc. etc.
It's damaged my balance so I fall or crash into things a lot on the "good days"
I said I had more bad days than good. The report says because I don't suffer with vertigo for more than 50% of the time I score 0 points.
I said I never cook now because my coordination is poor and I've scalded myself in the past when straining veg etc.
The report says I score 0 points as I can prepare and cook simple meals.
I was asked if I get aura with migraine and I said yes I did
The report says I get aura with Vertigo (I don't) so get warnings of an attack ( I don't)

I am going to ask for the mandatory reconsideration. Am I better speaking to someone on the telephone or should I do it in writing?
Many thanks
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140324 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic DLA to PIP Failed assessment
Hi DL and welcome to Benefits and Work.This link will help you find your way around the site.

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am sorry that your PIP claim has failed. Your DLA will be paid until 4 weeks after the date of this decision, then it will stop until/unless a decision is made to award your PIP.

You can request a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) by phone if you wish but we always recommend that this is followed up with a letter (you should keep a copy for your own records).

Our PIP guides explain the MR process to you. I suggest you have a read, decide where/how you think you should have scored points and provide DWP with evidence to back this up - or point to evidence you have already submitted.

PIP help for claimants

We also suggest that you should request a copy of the assessment, this will give you a better idea of why your claim failed.

Please reply to this message when you have further questions. You will find it easily in future if you bookmark/favourite it on your web browser now :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dizzylady

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.