× Members

A few questions about PIP assessment, please help

More
8 years 7 months ago #140495 by Gordon

Ninjahedgehog wrote: I just phoned ATOS up asking if they would approve taxis (and reimburse for them) to and from my appointment. I seem to have ended up with being given a new appointment at a place much closer to me. The plus to this is that they have approved taxis and the journey will be much shorter.

I asked whether this place had stairs, and the person on the phone said he didn't believe so. However, having looked it up on Google I've realised I know that building. It might not have stairs (I can't recall correctly) but it is full of long corridors. I don't know which part of the building the PIP assessments take place in, but if I have to walk through lots of long corridors then this is a) going to be very difficult for me, and b) not going to look good for my claim, I would think?

I also suspect this building will offer more opportunity for me to be watched as I enter/leave the building. The previous appointment site was a small, street-facing shop, so not much chance of their surveilling me. (Which I just plain don't think is right!)

Also, this one is likely to be an NHS centre; the other one was a private physio practice. I've no idea if there's any pros or cons to NHS vs. private physio doing your assessment.

I did ask on the phone if this would count as my one rearrangement and I wouldn't be able to change the appointment again. He said that no, because we were bringing the appointment forward, I would be able to change the appointment again if needed. I don't understand the logic, but that's what he said.

I'm now in two minds. A more local centre and taxi cost refund is great, but I'm worried about the potential for having to walk a long distance through the building - and what that might do to both me and my claim.

Any thoughts?

(I know I'm posting a lot here. Thanks for reading and advising.)

Only you know how you are effected daily and what message your attending at this centre will send, I'm afraid it's a Decision that only you can make.

Despite what you have been told about this change not counting I would be extremely careful about moving the appointment again.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140496 by Gordon

Ninjahedgehog wrote: I have one last question.

If you appeal your PIP claim, do you keep getting your old level of benefits in the meantime?

E.g. if I get a standard rate of PIP result and start an appeal, while the appeal is going through will my (old) higher rate of DLA continue, as it is doing while the PIP claim process is happening?

Thank you ever so much for all your help today, Gordon, and any others that pitch in in the meantime.

Your DLA claim will end 4 weeks after the PIP Decision whatever that is.

If an award of PIP is made but you still appeal then you would continue to receive the awarded rate while you wait for a hearing.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
8 years 7 months ago #140587 by claire
hi. my husband got an appointment for a assessment held at a centre. he rang and asked for a home visit which was granted. so you could try asking.
he had his pip assessment friday at home where they asked all the questions he had been asked on the form.then they did a couple of maths qusetions and a memory question and the a quick physical examination. it was very stressful where we both ended up crying but the nurse was really nice. we now have to wait 6/8 weeks for the result.
hope this may help and yours goes well

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.