× Members

Teenage daughter what do i do now

More
8 years 7 months ago #140454 by hicky1
Teenage daughter what do i do now was created by hicky1
hi my daughter has cerebral palsy and is 18 years of age she has now finished full time education i have claimed DLA and now she gets pip she had had DLA/PIP since she was old enough to apply for it at the higher rates for both parts. i am her carer and claim carers allowance and am on income support my daughter is currently part of my income support claim as a dependent now she is 18 and has left education she is classed as non dependent the child benefit stopped last week and income support enquired by letter a few months ago about what she would be doing now she is 18. i have informed them that she has finished her studies and may consider studying from home which would be easier due to her disabilities. i have not heard anything yet in regards to what will happen now she is classed as non dependent. my question is will they transfer her to ESA automatically or will they get in touch for me to apply for her as i am her appointee. she will be unable to work due to her disabilities and at college she had to have a teaching assistant with her for all lessons.

i originally phoned ESA a couple of months ago and they said to check with income support as i would lose the premiums if i applied for esa for her and didn't want me to lose out when i checked with income support they said i would lose premiums so the guy advised me not to do anything until i had too. so does this mean they will contact me now she is fast approaching 19 as I'm assuming she can't stay on my income support claim

any advice on the process would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #140474 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Teenage daughter what do i do now
hicky

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

We don't deal with Income Support on the forum so I can't advise you whether your daughter can remain part of your claim, but if she is part of your claim then she will not be invited to claim ESA, so if she is unfit for work then you will need to make a claim on her behalf. Our ESA claim guides explain how to do this have a look at the following link.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

You Income Support will be effected depending on what premiums you are currently receiving but you should be able to continue claiming it as Carer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: hicky1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.